Chicks With lice!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Akyoung4, Mar 15, 2018.

1. Akyoung4

Akyoung4 Hatching

Mar 15, 2018
    Hi! New to raising chickens. Hatched 6 from an incubator but then made the mistake of buying a couple silkies the same age from a local farmer and just found a bunch of lice under ones wings. I’m sure the others also have them bc they have been in the brooder together now for 3 days. What should I do? I’ve already cleaned everything and put some de under the wings but I know that won’t be enough and now I’m worried they will all die I should add they are all 2 weeks old

2. Abriana

Abriana Spicy Sugar Cookie

Apr 26, 2017
    Fools Gold
    Use DE. Dust them with it and be careful not to get it in their eyes. Use it on you and your family too, it will spread! You can even dust items with it.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    DE can be hard on chickens if they breathe it. Permethrin is pretty safe in chickens. It is available in dust, probably better for small chicks, or spray.

ticketism and Abriana like this.
  4. Abriana

Apr 26, 2017
    Fools Gold
    Oh ok I didn’t know that, I thought it was just bad for humans to breathe in but I guess that makes sense. Still could use it on ppl

5. Akyoung4

Akyoung4 Hatching

Mar 15, 2018
    I already rubbed some on them but was careful to avoid their faces and knock excess off. It’s all I had on hand. I’m going to go to the store and get something different tomorrow. They are all acting fine, but I’m worried.

6. Akyoung4

Akyoung4 Hatching

Mar 15, 2018
    I thought that the lice on chickens can’t live on humans?

Abriana likes this.
  7. Abriana

Apr 26, 2017
    Fools Gold
    Oh I thought I heard it could. Maybe not. Hopefully not.

8. It will not live on humans, rest easy.

Gary

Soon2BChixMom likes this.
  9. ticketism

ticketism Songster

Oct 17, 2015
    Queensland, Australia
    I've known people to keep either a kiddie pool (for full grown chickens) or a wide takeaway dish or similar (for small chicks) full of soil with sand and DE mixed through inside the run/brooder; so that the birds can dustbathe in it and prevent any further external parasites. Something like that could be an idea for after you've powder treated them for lice?

Akyoung4 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: