Chicks with poopy butts...

Jewlss

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jan 2, 2013
I bought 20 chicks online from a hatchery a good handful of them seem to have poopy butts. i know to clean them off or it could be fatal but i was wondering if their is a way to avoid this from happening or any pointers would be great. ive hatched chicks no poopy butts occurred and if they did it wasn't almost all of them.. i really want to buy more chicks but it would be great if they didn't get poopy butts!

We are certainly not experts but we put Sav-A-Chick probiotics and Sav-A-Chick electrolytes in their water
from day one. We bought some chicks last year from a local feed store and one had pasty butt bad.
I got her cleaned up and did some research. With the addition of the Sav-a-chick products, we have
not seen pasty butt again. We are on or 3rd brood of chicks and no pasty butt. I can't say for certain that
the sav-a-chick products are why we have not seen pasty butt again, but thats what i suspect.

Here is the link to their site and you can buy the stuff at tractor supply and local feed stores.
We mix one pack of probiotics and one pack of electrolytes in one gallon of water .
This keeps their digestive tract in tip top shape and the electrolytes are just a plus.

http://www.savachick.com/product.php?p=132

Soak their butts in warm water, using an old sour cream tub works good... make sure it is warm, but not hot... hold them in your hand while doing it cuz most like it and will get drowsy... once it softens, use a warm wet washcloth to gently remove all of it... put back under heat lamp to dry off and done... usually one time is enough, but keep your eye on them for a bit in case it happens again...

Soak their butts in warm water, using an old sour cream tub works good... make sure it is warm, but not hot... hold them in your hand while doing it cuz most like it and will get drowsy... once it softens, use a warm wet washcloth to gently remove all of it... put back under heat lamp to dry off and done... usually one time is enough, but keep your eye on them for a bit in case it happens again...

Yup, warm water, not too hot, just warm enough to soften the stool. Wash rag or q-tips to gently remove the stool and keep an eye out to make sure it does not happen again.
Dont squeeze the chick too hard while cleaning. Normal gentle handling applies here too. consider adding probiotics to their water.

I fought the poopy butt problem for a long time last season. One of the things I did (after reading about it online) was to mix corn meal into their chick starter.Lots of it.

I bought 20 chicks online from a hatchery a good handful of them seem to have poopy butts. i know to clean them off or it could be fatal but i was wondering if their is a way to avoid this from happening or any pointers would be great. ive hatched chicks no poopy butts occurred and if they did it wasn't almost all of them.. i really want to buy more chicks but it would be great if they didn't get poopy butts!

Awesome thanks for all the replies
The chicks are cleaned and I'm going to try to do my best to avoid them getting poopy butts.

Back
Top Bottom