1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicks with runny poop

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Txboi83, Aug 29, 2011.

1. Txboi83

Txboi83 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2011
    Dallas
    Hi I have four three week old chicks that have runny poop there's no blood in it and my chicks seem happy and healthy except for their poop Im not sure if it happens every time they poop because I see in there litter some normal droppings but I've noticed this problem for the past week please help thanks

2. ronikins

ronikins Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    SW Missouri (Ozarks)
    Could you post a picture of the poop?

They poop and pee in the same movement. Sometimes, when they drink a little too much water, the poop will be runnier than normal.

3. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Hello,

If it's a sort of diahrrea looking, dark brown or butterscotch colored, stinky, sticky poo, then that is totally normal. It's called cecal droppings. All chicks and chickens will have that, and I've noticed with my chicks, when they get excited, they poo that runny stuff quite often.

Nothing to worry about! [​IMG]

Just kinda gross and stinky! [​IMG]

5 people like this.
  4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    5 people like this.
  5. Txboi83

Txboi83 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2011
    Dallas
    Thanks for all the help and thank dawg53 the chart was really helpful

6. homesteadwannabe

homesteadwannabe Out Of The Brooder

Dec 26, 2011
    Colorado
    I had the same question this morning. I never knew a chicken poop chart excisted! It was very helpful and put my concerns at rest!

7. MiaHudy

MiaHudy Out Of The Brooder

I just found this thread! My four week old chick seems to have runny poops frequently, but based on the "Poop Chart' it seems rather normal. So thanks to whomever posted this! I have the chart bookmarked now.
    =0

8. jeff75

jeff75 New Egg

May 17, 2013
    I never thought a chicken poop chart would be something I would bookmark on my phone , but thank you !!!!!

AprilDrake and sueiris like this.
  9. CoolClucker

CoolClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2013
    Central USA
    [​IMG]Thank you for posting this! This is EXACTLY what is going on with my babies! I keep them in my garage and lately they've been so full of energy I thought I'd let them roam around a bit outside their cardboard brooder. A few of them had this and it was exactly as you described, and must've been from the excitement of exploring. Whew! Thanks again [​IMG]

10. Baileyje

Baileyje New Egg

Jan 30, 2014
    Oregon
    Thank you for the link to the poop chart. I guess I'm not surprised one exists, but I never would have thought to look for it. The pics were very helpful. Being a newbie with chickens I have been worried a few times about the color/consistency of their poop. It was reassuring to see photos of the range for normal. Thanks again,!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by