Chicks with runny poop

Txboi83

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 29, 2011
Dallas
Hi I have four three week old chicks that have runny poop there's no blood in it and my chicks seem happy and healthy except for their poop Im not sure if it happens every time they poop because I see in there litter some normal droppings but I've noticed this problem for the past week please help thanks

Could you post a picture of the poop?

They poop and pee in the same movement. Sometimes, when they drink a little too much water, the poop will be runnier than normal.

Hello,

If it's a sort of diahrrea looking, dark brown or butterscotch colored, stinky, sticky poo, then that is totally normal. It's called cecal droppings. All chicks and chickens will have that, and I've noticed with my chicks, when they get excited, they poo that runny stuff quite often.

Nothing to worry about!
smile.png

Just kinda gross and stinky!
sickbyc.gif

I just found this thread! My four week old chick seems to have runny poops frequently, but based on the "Poop Chart' it seems rather normal. So thanks to whomever posted this! I have the chart bookmarked now.
=0

Hello,

If it's a sort of diahrrea looking, dark brown or butterscotch colored, stinky, sticky poo, then that is totally normal. It's called cecal droppings. All chicks and chickens will have that, and I've noticed with my chicks, when they get excited, they poo that runny stuff quite often.

Nothing to worry about!
smile.png

Just kinda gross and stinky!
sickbyc.gif
goodpost.gif
Thank you for posting this! This is EXACTLY what is going on with my babies! I keep them in my garage and lately they've been so full of energy I thought I'd let them roam around a bit outside their cardboard brooder. A few of them had this and it was exactly as you described, and must've been from the excitement of exploring. Whew! Thanks again
smile.png

Thank you for the link to the poop chart. I guess I'm not surprised one exists, but I never would have thought to look for it. The pics were very helpful. Being a newbie with chickens I have been worried a few times about the color/consistency of their poop. It was reassuring to see photos of the range for normal. Thanks again,!

Back
Top Bottom