children under 5 shouldn't be around pets

Then I guess they don't know children live on farms? Livestock and pets live on farms?

They would do better to promote good handwashing skills.

You can get sick from any animal, but am I going to sit around and worry about it, no. Just wash your hands, use hand sanitizer. Its like they dont want children to have pets anymore.
roll.png

That's funny, cause Fri. Brian Williams did a spot on how kids who are raised on farms are less likely to develop asthma like the majority of city dwellers. Apparently being exposed to 'exotic' animal dander and the like, as a child, helps the body better define what is a threat and what isn't.

Wow, interesting isn't it. Perhaps folks live in to sterile of environments to begin with, when a tiny germ, virus, or organism comes near, we all practically die. Once you have eaten that peck of dirt playing in the yard or barn, you have enough immunities to take care of the pesky ones.
A little soap and water will go a long ways.
PS- I still have not figured out how my brother and I have lived this long sitting in a stroller while our Mom milked the cows.
hmm.png

I have 2 DDs who have been raised on our farm with access to the animals. They are both healthy and have not had any trouble due to the animals. Maybe better hygine should be stressed. It will help children in the long run. Better hygine usually means less illness!

I guess all three of my kids (ages 32, 29 and almost 27) should never have survived to adulthood when I think of all the animals and germs they were exposed to growing up around our cowherd, my chickens and guineas etc.

I read it this a.m. and this along with all these other bacteria killing sprays, etc. we are creating such a sterile world that of course when/if a sterile child comes in contact, it's body can't handle it. I'm not saying be filthy, but it's gotten out of hand in the other direction. I never get sick, because I'm out in the barn all the time. I attribute the fresh air and dirt I come in contact with as part of the good immune system I have. Not sure if the theory is correct, but that's my story and I'm stickin' with it!

I grew up with pet turtles, snakes, rats, mice you name it! I took care of them, changed their cages, held them, KISSED them! I never got sick. I think the idea of a sterile world is not only highly over-rated AND impossible, but a bad idea in the long run....... kids need a degree of exposure to ready their systems for all of the bacterias and germs they will run into over the rest of their lives.

Not to mention... OMG could you imagine a childhood WITHOUT pets!?! How sad
sad.png
Not that all animals make good pets... but I believe it is partly how we learn to love the natural world and appreciate all of the little creatures. I know some people who live the "sterile" life... and I'm sorry, but, their kids aren't better for it on so many levels.
sad.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom