China's going nuts

Status
Not open for further replies.
If they are told to stay home, they need to do it. This is a serious situation that spread quickly. I believe there are times to defy authorities when what they're doing is wrong, but this isn't one of them.

Yes, it spreads quickly, but it remains to be seen if it's really a serious problem, or simply the appearance of a serious problem created by the communist government. Time will tell if the same situation develops in the rest of the world, which I seriously doubt.

Try getting one of the masks for yard work at Home Depot or Lowe's. Also, you could ask your local doctor's office or hospital. They usually have tons.
Thanks for the tips! My DH talked with a friend and was told that even those masks are hard to find. Fortunately, DH talked with our local pharmacist, and he found a box for us. Ten masks for $8-something, so I'm all set for my trip. :)

I was over there about 6 years ago. Smog was awful!

Was it as bad as this? This is a picture of Wuhan where the outbreak started. I think they have other health compromising issues going on than just a virus.

343b9.jpg

Yes, it spreads quickly, but it remains to be seen if it's really a serious problem, or simply the appearance of a serious problem created by the communist government. Time will tell if the same situation develops in the rest of the world, which I seriously doubt.
Maybe it won't, I certainly hope not, but people are being quarantined around the world. It only takes one idiot to start it all over again.

Maybe it won't, I certainly hope not, but people are being quarantined around the world. It only takes one idiot to start it all over again.

It's impossible to completely quarantine when it's as infectious as it appears to be. Totally and completely impossible. Public health officials are just trying to justify their jobs when they say and act like they can.

Not that bad. Here's a pic I took at the Great Wall and Tiananmen Square. Definitely no nice vistas.
View attachment 2029484

View attachment 2029495

That's still pretty bad. At times I was tempted to look for work in China. A guy I worked with is over there, or was. Glad I didn't follow through because I hate being around polluted air. And cigarette smoke. I read that over 70% of Chinese adults smoke. That's like twice the population of the US. Doesn't sound like a real healthy place to be.

It's impossible to completely quarantine when it's as infectious as it appears to be. Totally and completely impossible. Public health officials are just trying to justify their jobs when they say and act like they can.
I agree not everyone can be quarantined but people need to do the right thing. Those who are forced to do the right thing are in the wrong in my opinion.

I was over there about 6 years ago. Smog was awful!
Huh, about 6 years ago I lived in Bakersfield Ca... and air quality levels were SO bad (farming ain't all nice) it was said that walking a mile would be the equivalent of smoking a pack of cigarettes to your lungs. :eek:

Even on nice days, we dare not open the windows.

Hubby had to go to work and suffered all kinds of shortness of breath and using inhalers facing pneumonia at least once per year . Since moving out of the awful air of California's central and southern San Joaquin valley... he no longer has those breathing issues! :yesss:

Unfortunately, most my birth family was raised in California farming communities... and many have faced pancreatic cancer, stomach cancer, breast cancer, and even one of my cousins who never smoked nor exposed to second hand smoke by parents got lung cancer in his early 30's! :barnie

It seems so easy to point fingers at other countries when we may not realize just how bad things really are in our own. :confused:

I feel worst of all for the Chinese (on the surface anyways, just to keep it light hearted)... for not having access to the BYC community for their support! :hugs

While I may not agree with limits being set on how many offspring one family can have... I also understand that over population IS a real concern... and Earth cannot sustain an unlimited population... Doctors and science have helped to seriously increase our numbers. Air won't get better on it's own. :oops: (and this despite my mostly conservative views).

ETA: Air quality actually measured HIGHER than Beijing for several days... and driving down into the valley from the hills you could see the blanket of dirt and smog hanging on the valley floor. :sick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom