chinese goose neck injury?

Jul 12, 2011
Gloucestershire UK
hello, im hoping to get some advise please, im new to keeping geese, i have just homed a goose and gander, brown chinese type that are about 3 years old.
they have been with us a week and seemed to have settled well, although no eggs yet but would imagine this will just take time.
when the female arrived she seemed to have a slight crook to her neck to one side, this seems to have got slightly worse since she has been with us. she is eating, drinking, moving, running, flapping all ok. i gently picked her up today and had a feel of the lump. it feels like bone, like a vertebrae is slipped or mis-aligned. when i was feeling her neck she was closing the eye on that side, but not the other.
does anyone know if this a problem with the breed or a known deformity, i wonder if she has hurt it but cant imagine how, would not like to think of her in pain as she is a pet.
our local vets doesnt really 'do' geese!
any advice or other contacts would be gratefully received.
many thanks for reading.
will try to post some pictures in a bit!

99633_july_11_045.jpg

thats strange! my mom has one and when she drinks waer and lifts her head up to swallow, instead of it stopping, it goes all the way back and she falls over:(. i havent had any replies on here to what it might be!

It looks like "kinked neck" it can be from birth or from a injury. I regret I know of no way to correct the condition. You should be able to tell by behavior if it pains her or not (usually not) Sorry I can't be of more help .

Quote:
thats a great help thanks! she is currently doing well and doesnt appear in any pain. we are looking after some chickens at the moment so she is busy being mummy to those!
smile.png

How sweet.
love.gif

Oh my yes that looks like a bent neck to me, one of my African geese had that when she was flying and got clothes lined by the high tensile horse fence, I was worried at first but she seemed fine and it has even gotten better, I think it may go away eventually.

Back
Top Bottom