Chinese gosling uneasy on feet and acting strange

Rhysj

In the Brooder
Mar 4, 2021
Purchased a Chinese goose a month old last week. Seemed ok at fist but today went in shed and he was panting and wings spread. read it's start of heat stroke so cooled him down in bucket of water. He's no longer panting or spreading wings but can't stay on feet and keeps falling over. Very verbal but is there anything else I can do to help? He's eating chick crumb that's ok for water fowl. Thanks

If you're feeding chick starter, your gosling will need supplemental niacin. I like to use nutritional yeast sprinkled on food.

Offering a vitamin supplement with electrolytes (in water) may help with recovery. Is the shed adequately ventilated? Photos would be helpful. Geese are pretty heat tolerant, so it's concerning that your gosling may be experiencing heat stress. Is water available to him/her at all times?

If you're feeding chick starter, your gosling will need supplemental niacin. I like to use nutritional yeast sprinkled on food.

Offering a vitamin supplement with electrolytes (in water) may help with recovery. Is the shed adequately ventilated? Photos would be helpful. Geese are pretty heat tolerant, so it's concerning that your gosling may be experiencing heat stress. Is water available to him/her at all times?
Hi sorry for late reply. He's been on nutritional yeast with b12 for at least 4-5 days and seems happy and growin but feet are the same. I'm putting in two tea spoons a day into food and water sometimes more for extra boost and no change really it's almost like splayed legs but is it to late to tie legs together to help muscles?

Hi sorry for late reply. He's been on nutritional yeast with b12 for at least 4-5 days and seems happy and growin but feet are the same. I'm putting in two tea spoons a day into food and water sometimes more for extra boost and no change really it's almost like splayed legs but is it to late to tie legs together to help muscles?

You really need to start your gosling on liquid B complex it is the best way to treat a niacin deficiency. You can also try hobbling along with the liquid B complex it may not be to late.
1ml over a tasty treat or orally.TSC carries one called Durvet Liquid B complex it will say injectable but we use it orally. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...dications-to-all-poultry-and-waterfowl.73335/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/niacin-deficiency-in-waterfowl.1367557/

27DBD5A0-3CA9-4D1A-B0C6-035B5ACB1DF0.jpeg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom