Chinese New Year Hatch/February 3 2011

Good morning everyone.................
All is well basically, but darned temp is unsteady.
Can't go back and redo.but remembering I read on BYC that a person put her inc inside a box to keep temps correct.
Going to try that today.
Very much doubting I will have anything hatch 2/3.
Think I will get a hatch, just late.
Bought a new hydrometer.do not know if it will help, but will make me feel better.
Calibrated it last night.

Going to work on the art of photo's today..........
If unsuccessful, my grandson said he would tutor me this weekend.

Added three new laying hens yesterday......2 BO's.huge fluffy girls and a white EE that looks orp from the back.with lovley tuffts on her face.
Going to check her leg color out this morning.
Other than reporting it is raining like crazy.( oregon).
Gryeyes: Please, do not tell Betsy,. When I saw her picture yesterday...I LOL so hard that DH came running to see what was going on............He thought I had popped a cork.

Put my 2 week and 3 week chicks together yesterday.very interesting to watch thier reaction......... For most there was no reaction. One 3 week cockerel tried to go after the
little ones and a 3 week pullet would intercede and chase the cockerel away............right now they have just chosen thier own areas..big ones together on one side.little ones at the opposite end.
Wishing all a fun day
Toni

My eggs are here!!!!! They arrived yesterday around 3:00. I paid for 25 and she sent me 34. Only one broken egg from the whole batch!

I'll be setting tonight when I get home, so that the eggs are settled in well.

Final count:

17 Coturnix eggs
33 Button eggs

For the CNY Hatch. Due to hatch on the 4th, probably a little sooner.

I am also setting 6 eggs from my chickens, but I'm not currently counting those, since they are due to hatch on the 11th.

O K ..........Lesson.
Do not sex chickens in the dark.
I brought home a beautiful EE cross hen, a nice BO hen and a huge BO roo..............
lol.png

I thought that third hen was heavy.
O well, I really needed another rooster......NOT
Opened the pen to feed and the Roo split.....to fast for me to stop.
I think he will just hang around the barn though and hopefully go back in when he hears his friends....
Later

well I candled the shipped eggs today. The majority were clear.
sad.png

The 1 blue egg he put in for fun for me (Ameraucana x Wyandotte) has good development on it and 1 brown egg I could not see clearly through so I left these 2 in.

So I am now down to the total of 9 eggs from both the shipped and local eggs. I will not candle again until time to go into lockdown to make sure no bad eggs slip into lock down.

Question: Is it ok if the veining and embryo appear at the top of the big end of the egg versus the side of the egg? I could not see the air cell at the top for the blue shipped egg. These shipped eggs were major scrambled.

I never candle, cause I always deal with thick shelled bantam eggs and can't see well. The quail eggs never candle well for me. Not to mention the fact that I'm just paranoid about throwing good eggs out.

This is my first adventure with shipped eggs, but the one broken one wasn't scramble at all just broken, maybe it got dropped or something.

Quote:
I too bought one of these and it's wonderful
big_smile.png
I need to do the duct tape trick, at the moment I just hold the torch in my palm and sit the egg on top with my fingers blocking the lite but I do get light leakage. Duct tape should solve that problem nicely.
smile.png

Quote:
It really does make it a nicer fit.. Just take a small strip of the duct tape and fold over about 1/4 or 1/3 of it the length of the tape.. Then wrap it around the outside of the top.. There will be a tiny piece at the end that won't want to stick because it's folded so just take a tiny piece of tape to hold it down...

eta: another thing that it's good for is you don't have to worry about cracking an egg because you accidentally hit the egg with the end of the flashlight.. The tape acts as a buffer! LOL

Goddess
jumpy.gif

Last edited:
Hi all, just got done candeling, out of 18 BLRW, had to toss 2, blood rings, 10 developing, and 6 the big ? These were a not so local pickup. Just set 14 more of a mix bag, surprise batch. These are shipped eggs and a few of the air cells look a little off, so we will see.

Come on chickies
jumpy.gif

I had a temp spike. Got home from yard sales to find it's at 104f
he.gif
Turned it down a little and it's back to 102.5 - 103 and the instructions for this 'bator says it should be 103 with the thermometer set in the correct position.

I think it's just because it's HOT here atm but it's been holding beautifully so I'm not amused by the spike. My first batch of eggs go into lockdown on Monday, my CNY hatch is obviously in there and I just set eggs two days ago. How bad is that spike likely to have been?
hide.gif

Back
Top Bottom