Chinese New Year Hatch/February 3 2011

woohoo Bhep! Cute lil chickie!!!

I've got a question... I've got one egg left, I candled and can SEE the heartbeating.. well, something is causing it to move in time with what a heartbeat would be.. but its day 22?! How could only one egg be that far behind?
hu.gif
Thats got me SO confused!!!!

Its all alone in the bator... I sure hope it hatches soon. ITs makin me nervous!!!

Quote:
Wahooo!!! I am going, also, bringing my house-guest with me. It will be my first poultry show (hers, too) and I'm pretty excited about it.

Oh I would so come home with chickens if I went to one of those shows. Do they have birds for sale at these things?? If so you guys better be good and don't spend to much, but have tons of fun!!

Quote:
Well if you see things moving in there, then you know something is alive in there. I guess no harm in waiting and see what happens.

Quote:
So cute! Congrats!
How do you like that brooder? I don't care for mine much with bantams. They are too little for about the first week or two and can't get close enough to it. I put a small long dish upside down under it to get them closer, but they still seem a little cool. Standard sized chicks do great though!

I love mine
big_smile.png
I did notice it seemed to be a big gap for the tiny banties (I've never had bantie babies before) but I cheated and put shavings in with the cloth over the top so they had a flattish surface to walk on and they didn't fall into the shavings. Made the bit in the middle lower and the sides a bit higher so they can chose to snuggle closer to it if they want to. They really seem to love it, much happier than my last lot under lights.

Now two questions:

I candled my CNY eggs last night and was amazed to find I have more alive than I thought. Looks like 5 moving and one odd looking one I need advice. It looks dark and full but I see no movement and I can't see blood vessels or anything when I candle it. It's also a darker egg with a thicker shell than the others. I did wonder if it might be a stinker and sniffed it. It has a very slight 'eggy' smell. It doesn't stink, the smell is only slight but the others smell like nothing. So... do you think I could still have a chick in there or is it on the way to being an egg bomb? I really don't want to toss it if there might be a chick in there but at the same time I don't want it to explode in the hatcher if it's an egg bomb.

Other question is a lot sadder, one of my chicks can't walk properly. It tries but can't seem to straighten one leg. It hobbles on it's hock but looks miserable. I checked it over this morning and held it so it could drink and set it down with some food and a few min later it was on the food plate. I had to go out and when I got back I held it to drink again and noticed it seems very unhappy. The leg now seems to be at a much worse angle and the hock is enlarged.
sad.png
I noticed the others picking on it and when I asked DH if anything had happened while I was out he said there was a LOT of high pitched screaming coming from there but when he looked he couldn't see anything (they were all under the brooder). I'm now wondering if the others could have tread on it and broken the leg? It is defiantly worse than it was this morning and it doesn't want to move now at all.
sad.png

I guess I'm wondering if it could be anything else that it might have a chance of recovering from or if I should just put the poor thing out of it's misery.
hit.gif

Quote:
So cute! Congrats!
How do you like that brooder? I don't care for mine much with bantams. They are too little for about the first week or two and can't get close enough to it. I put a small long dish upside down under it to get them closer, but they still seem a little cool. Standard sized chicks do great though!

I love mine
big_smile.png
I did notice it seemed to be a big gap for the tiny banties (I've never had bantie babies before) but I cheated and put shavings in with the cloth over the top so they had a flattish surface to walk on and they didn't fall into the shavings. Made the bit in the middle lower and the sides a bit higher so they can chose to snuggle closer to it if they want to. They really seem to love it, much happier than my last lot under lights.

Now two questions:

I candled my CNY eggs last night and was amazed to find I have more alive than I thought. Looks like 5 moving and one odd looking one I need advice. It looks dark and full but I see no movement and I can't see blood vessels or anything when I candle it. It's also a darker egg with a thicker shell than the others. I did wonder if it might be a stinker and sniffed it. It has a very slight 'eggy' smell. It doesn't stink, the smell is only slight but the others smell like nothing. So... do you think I could still have a chick in there or is it on the way to being an egg bomb? I really don't want to toss it if there might be a chick in there but at the same time I don't want it to explode in the hatcher if it's an egg bomb.

Other question is a lot sadder, one of my chicks can't walk properly. It tries but can't seem to straighten one leg. It hobbles on it's hock but looks miserable. I checked it over this morning and held it so it could drink and set it down with some food and a few min later it was on the food plate. I had to go out and when I got back I held it to drink again and noticed it seems very unhappy. The leg now seems to be at a much worse angle and the hock is enlarged.
sad.png
I noticed the others picking on it and when I asked DH if anything had happened while I was out he said there was a LOT of high pitched screaming coming from there but when he looked he couldn't see anything (they were all under the brooder). I'm now wondering if the others could have tread on it and broken the leg? It is defiantly worse than it was this morning and it doesn't want to move now at all.
sad.png

I guess I'm wondering if it could be anything else that it might have a chance of recovering from or if I should just put the poor thing out of it's misery.
hit.gif

ughhh I can't answer that question for you. I would give it every chance you can, but only you can tell if it is time to end it's pain. Can you splint it at all, with a bandaid or some tape or???? Do you think it would help?

Quote:
ughhh I can't answer that question for you. I would give it every chance you can, but only you can tell if it is time to end it's pain. Can you splint it at all, with a bandaid or some tape or???? Do you think it would help?

I looked at trying to splint it but if I try to move it to the straight position it screams.
sad.png
It never was straight to begin with but I thought it might just take it a few days and it was looking better early this morning, getting to the feed dish and all but now looks terrible. It can't extend the foot at all, it just sits up near it's body and you can see it's trying but it can't do it.

I feel bad because I want to give it every chance but I don't want it to be in pain if it has no hope of getting better. I'm so sad because it did seem to be getting better and something happened while I was out. I know it's silly but I feel like if I was here it might not have happened.
sad.png

Quote:
Yep! I am locking down Sunday afternoon.

This happened fast to me. And today I came home to two OEG eggs!!!!! I am gonna set them right away after this hatch. Plenty of time!!!

Long day and I passed out hours ago sitting at the computer.

Going to bed now since we have to leave between 5 and 6 am. I hope. I'll probably over sleep.

Yes you can buy birds there. This is the biggest show in California. I've always missed it because most times it was the same weekend at the Golden Gate Dog Show. I've only missed that one 6 times since I was 13,

Linda I sent you a pm. It's a way to find all of us out there, so I hope I did it soon enough for you to get it.

OK I couldn't help it, so earlier I candled. I have a couple that are weird looking. How do I discribe them?? Not like a smooth aircell. They kind of run up and down. Tired, but does that make since?

All of my Icelandics are clear for sure.
hit.gif

Some are too dark, so they'll just go into lockdown, I have to be more awake to even figure out what breeds I have. I posted it, but that's the list I think I was supposed to pm to someone??? I'll find it tomorrow night if I can keep my eyes open after the show. I also candled the ones that lockdown 2 days later and some seem to be have develped. I rarely see movement by this time. Anyway it's two of those that have the weird up and down thing going on. I have a couple that look like I have chicks, but my aircells look small. I hope that changes before lockdown.

Anyway I forget how many I have that should hatch on the 3rd.LOL

OK I'm more tired than I thought. Going to sleep. Good luck to everyone with hatches going on. Hope to see lots of pics when I come back on.

Back
Top Bottom