Chirping to Clucking

clemens204

In the Brooder
Mar 12, 2018
Pacifica, CA
i have read that the hens won’t transition from chirping to clicking until about 12 weeks old. However while sitting with my two 7 week olds I heard a very distinctive cluck amongst the chirps. I turned quickly to see who it was and they looked at me like I was crazy.

Isn’t this too early for the clucks? Or is someone trying to change teams (be a rooster)?

PouleNoire

Crowing
Sep 13, 2015
Pennsylvania
Key word is "about" all chicks are different yours just decided it wanted to show you his/her vocal skills early! Of course the chicks could be a male but it also could be a female, the fact that he clucked early isn't one of the most distinctive ways to tells it's a male.;)

Spartan22

Crowing
Sep 2, 2014
NE Ohio
i have read that the hens won’t transition from chirping to clicking until about 12 weeks old. However while sitting with my two 7 week olds I heard a very distinctive cluck amongst the chirps. I turned quickly to see who it was and they looked at me like I was crazy.

Isn’t this too early for the clucks? Or is someone trying to change teams (be a rooster)?

I think your hearing things:D, Kidding aside when We did our first hatched last spring at about 8 weeks one of our chicks started making weird sound like it was choking, then after few minutes it did the same sound. I realized the chick was trying to crow, I burst out laughing since it was the most pathetic sound (crow) I’ve ever heard. The weird thing was, 4 of the chicks turned out to be rooster and 2 started crowing between 8-10 wks old when all their physical attributes looked like hens. The other 2 didn’t crow until their 20th wks. I guess some will show off their true identities some will camouflaged it. :confused:

SueT

Enabler
Premium Feather Member
6 Years
May 27, 2015
SW MO
Mine are 5 weeks and their voices are changing for sure!
Fritz march 8 (3 of 1).jpg

TheTwoRoos

Crowing
Sep 25, 2015
All the males I have seem to not grow a voice until about four or five months because they would rather be quite until older,too much talk gets them in mighty trouble.

Top Bottom