Chix in 10 Days... I'm nervous!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Luke13:34, Aug 14, 2010.

  1. Luke13:34

    Luke13:34 Chillin' With My Peeps

    701
    3
    121
    Aug 3, 2010
    The Naugatuck Valley
    I keep reading sad stories of the chicks either getting lost in the mail, or not living a week after their arrival. I've worked so hard to get DH to agree to get chickens, and my kids are so excited, too. I'm so afraid I'm going to end up getting the brooder too hot, or too cold, or the run will have an Achilles heal somewhere and a predator we hadn't thought about will get in, or something else will happen.
     
  2. kasey08

    kasey08 Aunt Kasey's Farm

    Mar 29, 2010
    Scottsboro, AL
    cant say things wont happen but all in all it is a great experience to learn from [​IMG]
     
  3. SGM

    SGM Chillin' With My Peeps

    919
    0
    139
    Aug 18, 2008
    Easley, SC
    I've had chicks shipped in August before with no trouble at all. I haven't had any shipped in a couple years though so I know how you feel. I'm getting chicks shipped out Wednesday to me too and I'll be a frantic mess till my chickies get here. I've had chicks arrive anywhere from the Thursday directly after being shipped on Wednesday all the way to Saturday. The Saturday ones were much more weak in comparison, but we didn't have many losses there.

    I am hoping and praying mine get here as soon as possible and then they'll be good to go.
     
  4. woodmort

    woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

    3,168
    30
    201
    Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    You're have analysis paralysis, relax--remember there are over 500 people on here at a time and only 1 or 2 are having problems--that's less the 0.2% so the other 99.8% are doing fine. Oh sure, you'll make mistakes but there is a lot of help on here that will either help you correct them or head them off in the first place. Actually chicks are easy if you use common sense--if a hen can do it, so can you.
     
  5. sharol

    sharol Chillin' With My Peeps

    3,007
    71
    231
    Jun 13, 2010
    Admire, KS
    I got my first chicks ever about 5 weeks ago, so I know how you feel. I obsessed over the temperature of the brooder (it was fine), putting marbles in their (ACV treated) water, extra grinding on the food, visiting the post office (twice, she thought I was nuts, but she called me at 5:30 a.m. when they came in), paper towels over shavings -- you name it, if someone on this list mentioned it, I researched it and iimplemented it.

    The girls are doing just fine. We got back from a day trip today, and I went out to the run to sit with them for a while. They were jumping all over me. Angel (one of the 2 Delawares) hopped on my shoulder and tried to eat my hair, and Lisbeth (the usually shy Welsummer) jumped onto my knee and told me exactly how she felt about being "abandoned" all day. Welsummers (or at least mine) have unique voices that really get across irritation. Woodmort is absolutely right. Relax and enjoy them. They don't stay tiny very long. Make good preparations, test the temps in advance, then sit back and enjoy th babies.
     

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by