Chocolate Orpington enlarged crawl and throwing up

Robin K.

Chirping
Jul 13, 2018
New Franklin, Ohio
My Coop
My Coop
My chocolate Orpington is very lethargic and not moving around. When I picked her up brown slime started running out of her mouth. I brought her inside and put her in a tub of warm water. She has thrown up about 1/2 cup. I am very new to being a chicken owner. Right now I have her wrapped up in a towel on a heating pad.

It sounds like she has a crop disorder, possibly impacted or sour crop. What does her beak smell like? How old is she? How long has she been sick? What does her crop feel like—hard, soft, doughy, or puffy like a balloon? Can you give her some water with electrolytes and vitamins? If you have some plain yogurt or vuttermilk, I would offer her a small amount for probiotics. I will post some info about crop treatments.

My chocolate Orpington is very lethargic and not moving around. When I picked her up brown slime started running out of her mouth. I brought her inside and put her in a tub of warm water. She has thrown up about 1/2 cup. I am very new to being a chicken owner. Right now I have her wrapped up in a towel on a heating pad.
How old is she?
When was the last time she laid an egg?

It sounds like she has a crop problem, but that is often a symptom of an underlying condition.
Feel her abdomen - is there any bloat/swelling or feeling of fluid?

When you feel the crop - is it hard, soft, squishy?
I would be careful picking her up or leaning her over since they can aspirate fluid into their lungs.

Is she pooping at all?
Photos and/or video are always welcome.

How old is she?
When was the last time she laid an egg?

It sounds like she has a crop problem, but that is often a symptom of an underlying condition.
Feel her abdomen - is there any bloat/swelling or feeling of fluid?

When you feel the crop - is it hard, soft, squishy?
I would be careful picking her up or leaning her over since they can aspirate fluid into their lungs.

Is she pooping at all?
Photos and/or video are always welcome.
Squishy crop no poop since I found her about 3 1/2 hours ago

A squishy crop sounds more like sour crop. How is your hen? Older hens may develop crop problems from reproductive disorders such as internal laying that put pressure on the internal organs. You can do some checking for that by cupping your hand under her belly betwwen her legs and feel if it is enlarged, spongy or tight. Other times they can get a bacterial or fungal disease in the crop. Long grasses can get tangled causing an impacted crop which if untreated can rot and turn into sour crop.

One medicine that is effective is Nystatin (medistain) an antifungal drug that is available without a prescription here:
https://www.jedds.com/shop/medistatin/
Some use vaginal cream or suppositories such as monistat 7, but the nystatin is good. I would stop any whole grains, and feed mostly liquid easy to digest foods such as egg, plain yogurt, and watery chicken feed, but lots of water with electrolytes. Massage her crop several times a day—be careful because this can cause her to vomit and choke.

I forgot to add that you may want to check her for a stuck egg by inserting one finger one inch into her vent. Has she been laying eggs recently? Not pooping can be one sign that something is blocking her vent.
She finally pooped. I think she has a sour crop. She hasn’t thrown up for about 4 hours. I have been messaging her crop. She keeps acting like she is trying to regurgitate something.

Back
Top Bottom