Chocolate Orpingtons

All very pretty to me!  If you aren't breeding for show quality, then I'd go on personality.  Pick the ones that treat the girls better and are easier around humans.  Just my two cents.

Nice round fluffs!

Thank you

I'd have to disagree with your statement about breeding though.
Personality is important to me in breeding but I just cull anyone with a bad attitude as soon as I see one. They really almost never even make it to the point of picking breeders at my place.
I think i saw where you said yours wasnt show quality and i didnt look at the video but even if your birds arent the best quality and you never intend to show or breed show quality per say that doesnt mean you shouldnt breed to improve.
Im not one of those that say people should only breed the best of the best or if they arent show quality they shouldnt be bred at all. My opinion is that it just doesnt make sense to breed without concerns of improving any breed your working with. Even if theyre far from perfect you should want every generation to be better then the one before. Disregarding type just weakens the breed and takes away from what theyre supposed to be.
I saw you where wanting to breed for mottled chocolate. Im doing a lot of color breeding myself and the color/ pattern is what im breeding for but i still have to watch their type and breed accordingly. Not gonna do much good to get the color/pattern i want if the end result doesnt have the breed type.

Thank you

I'd have to disagree with your statement about breeding though.
Personality is important to me in breeding but I just cull anyone with a bad attitude as soon as I see one. They really almost never even make it to the point of picking breeders at my place.
I think i saw where you said yours wasnt show quality and i didnt look at the video but even if your birds arent the best quality and you never intend to show or breed show quality per say that doesnt mean you shouldnt breed to improve.
Im not one of those that say people should only breed the best of the best or if they arent show quality they shouldnt be bred at all. My opinion is that it just doesnt make sense to breed without concerns of improving any breed your working with. Even if theyre far from perfect you should want every generation to be better then the one before. Disregarding type just weakens the breed and takes away from what theyre supposed to be.
I saw you where wanting to breed for mottled chocolate. Im doing a lot of color breeding myself and the color/ pattern is what im breeding for but i still have to watch their type and breed accordingly. Not gonna do much good to get the color/pattern i want if the end result doesnt have the breed type.

I think you have mixed up posts and members, and misunderstood my comment, but that's ok.

I think you have mixed up posts and members, and misunderstood my comment, but that's ok.

Youre right. Looking back i was thinking two posts by different members where from one member. My bad.
I didnt think i misunderstood your post though. You were saying if youre not breeding for show quality then pick your keepers based on personalities, right?

Hi, I posted the video. I wanted input on which orps to keep. They are all nice to people and kids.
Not friendly but my chickens are not pets. They were hatched from eggs from a farm around here. They are not a hatchery but I don't consider them show quality either. Heck you can't even show choc or columbian orps.

I would like to keep the best to go on with but they all look pretty much the same to me.

I do agree you should try to improve breed type no matter what you are breeding.

I just can't keep 8 roosters and am unable to sell them even at a nominal fee. So I will probably be culling.

Hi, I posted the video. I wanted input on which orps to keep. They are all nice to people and kids.
Not friendly but my chickens are not pets. They were hatched from eggs from a farm around here. They are not a hatchery but I don't consider them show quality either. Heck you can't even show choc or columbian orps.

I would like to keep the best to go on with but they all look pretty much the same to me.

I do agree you should try to improve breed type no matter what you are breeding.

I just can't keep 8 roosters and am unable to sell them even at a nominal fee. So I will probably be culling.

If you think there not show quality put them to the test look up the chocolate Orphington breed standard and go off there her are the standards that a breeder posted on there website
http://www.thecuckoopoultrystudofaustralia.com/chocolate-orpington-colour-standard1.html

Back
Top Bottom