Chocolate Serama Breeders - dun and blue can be included here as well

Pics
She is likely a chocolate partidge. The light brown is a normal light brown color seen in many chickens. But since her feathers dont have the black they normally would, she likely has the chocolate gene. I expect her adult coloring will be two tones of brown --- darker is choc, light is regular brown. Good luck with her.

Hi guys! Just hatched out this little guy about a week ago. Haven't had this color yet. The mom is shown right beside the chick. She is chocolate. And the chick is starting to have feathers that have a light chocolate look to them. What is your opinion?

Thanks!
SSF
Chicks can change so dramatically in color that I never feel I can be sure until they're a few months old.

Okay, I'm new to this thread. I raise Belgian D'uccles and wanted to put in the lemon/cream gene, so I bought a very yellow serama. Then I saw a hen that was not a buff the lady was advertising her as. I bought them both and am extremely happy with my find! It seems that both of them are carrying a dilute gene, problem is, I don't know which.

Here is my new roo

Here's another of him at his new home. Note the fading, or brown at the base of his tail

These are his parents

And my new hen, who I THINK is dun? (she's on the left)

Here's the happy couple!

So....what have I got? Any best guesses? All I know is that I'm extremely lucky to have probably found at LEAST two different dilute genes. I would love to have chocolate or dun mille fleurs running around in about a year and a half. Also, any idea how long it will take to get rid of those quail markings on the hen's feathers?

The roo's mother appears to have black in her tail, which would rule out your boy being chocolate. In some photos, he looks like his tail is all brown, which would suggest dun, though as far as I know the incomplete dominant dun gene still has not been confirmed in Seramas (I had a chick I thought was Khaki (double dose of dun) but it did not survive and I have yet to hatch more like it, so who knows?). In most photos, though, the roo looks like he has black in his tail. Only you can tell best whether he actually does, as photos can be misleading. His dad looks like he has chocolate tail (but could just be the photo again), in which case his son would be a carrier. If so, half of your roo's daughters will be chocolate.

The hen looks like she has black in her tail, to me. Her light body looks like a typical wheaten-based hen color (do you know if she was a yellow chick?). If you see any black, then they do not have dun, choc or blue. Now the hen on the right definitely looks like she has one of these diluters!

Anyone else have an opinion? I'm looking at an awful lot of birds on this thread that LOOK like they have black, but are being called chocolate. My birds have the same amount of dark that they have. And I know what buff looks like, I have an entire yard full of buff....The hen is DEFINITELY not buff, she has a grey/pink/mauve thing going on.

Someone called this bird a chocolate. I see a lot of black and gray with red leakage.

056-5.jpg

And you guys are calling these chocolates as well. Looks black to me.
485x451px-LL-62b4e9de_CecileandCarmelita17May2012029.jpeg

My birds taIL FEATHERS ARE NOT BLACK, THEY ARE DARK GRAY, same color I see all over this thread.

Anyone else have an opinion? I'm looking at an awful lot of birds on this thread that LOOK like they have black, but are being called chocolate. My birds have the same amount of dark that they have. And I know what buff looks like, I have an entire yard full of buff....The hen is DEFINITELY not buff, she has a grey/pink/mauve thing going on.

Someone called this bird a chocolate. I see a lot of black and gray with red leakage.

056-5.jpg

And you guys are calling these chocolates as well. Looks black to me.
485x451px-LL-62b4e9de_CecileandCarmelita17May2012029.jpeg

My birds taIL FEATHERS ARE NOT BLACK, THEY ARE DARK GRAY, same color I see all over this thread.

The 2 pullets above are mine and are definitely chocolates, not a black spot on them and they are breeding true for chocolate and come from chocolate breeding. The lighting may not be the best and they are young. The hen in the photo at the top is definitely not chocolate, she looks to be melanized something.

Here is a more recent photo of the solid chocolate pullet in the above photo next to my chocolate mottled.

I named her Zsa Zsa

The chocolate mottled pullet above is the proud mother to this chick, the father to the chick is chocolate as well

My chocolates are dark chocolate in color. I have some that are chocolate that are also diluted with blue so they are a lighter chocolate.

Okay, I'm new to this thread. I raise Belgian D'uccles and wanted to put in the lemon/cream gene, so I bought a very yellow serama. Then I saw a hen that was not a buff the lady was advertising her as. I bought them both and am extremely happy with my find! It seems that both of them are carrying a dilute gene, problem is, I don't know which.

Here is my new roo

Here's another of him at his new home. Note the fading, or brown at the base of his tail

These are his parents

And my new hen, who I THINK is dun? (she's on the left)

Here's the happy couple!

So....what have I got? Any best guesses? All I know is that I'm extremely lucky to have probably found at LEAST two different dilute genes. I would love to have chocolate or dun mille fleurs running around in about a year and a half. Also, any idea how long it will take to get rid of those quail markings on the hen's feathers?

If there is any black, they are not chocolate. None of your birds appear to be chocolate except "possibly" the pullet in photo 5 on the right. Probably chocolate, I have seen a lot of Serama but so far, not a single dun serama. The yellow rooster may be what they call yellow birchen in game birds, the diluter is pumpkin

Last edited:
I have a lot of chocolates, this one is Kiss, my older hen (see how the right lighting can show the chocolate better? this is inside, with flash)

Lighting can have a lot to do with how they appear online but I have a lot of chocolate Serama's and they breed true for being sex linked/recessive true chocolates

This is Cocopuff, my chocolate mottled frizzle hen

Latte is chocolate with some red leakage. She comes from a hen that is pumpkin diluted and her sire is a chocolate carrier wheaten so she may also have the pumpkin diluter

This is a chocolate mottled chick, the chocolate mottled pullet in the photo that you said looked black. This is Cookie when she was just a baby, definitely not black

This is one of my roosters, still not sure of his color. Not blue, he's not produced a single blue. Not chocolate, not sure what he is. Sometimes a combination of genes can produce phenotypes that look like something they are not. To know if your birds are dun or chocolate, the best way to tell is by breeding them. You can rule colors out until you get it figured out.

I thought this one was blue, with other diluters but even breeding to blue hens, only one blue chick. I will be putting him with a couple of black hens to see if there's any chance he is dun. I doubt he is but that's the best way to prove or disprove. A black hen cannot carry or hide chocolate. If this rooster is dun, bred to black hens the chicks should look chocolate dun. This is different than the recessive chocolate but may look the same

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom