Chocolate Silverlaced Orpingtons Assembly

Looney Bin

In the Brooder
Apr 22, 2020
I’ve been getting mixed reactions to the proper way to achieve these stunning birds,any advice or information would greatly be appreciated on what breedings and pairs need to be done to accomplish a good quality bird.thanks in advance to any help.

I assume you can buy Silver Laced Orpingtons (with the normal black lacing).
You'll need the chocolate gene from somewhere, preferably from an Orpington--what can you get? Solid chocolate could work, chocolate-laced gold could work, chocolate with white barring could work...

The breeding plan might look a little different, depending on what chocolate-something-Orpington you can get.

I have chocolate orp’s right now and have two different bloodlines of silver laced eggs in the incubator at the moment.I was curious as to if it would be best to breed a choc rooster over a silver laced hen then what?

You can do the intial cross either way (which is nice if you don't know what gender your silver-laced will be!)

All you really want to do is cross the chocolate gene into the silver laced line, so in each generation you should pick a bird that you know has chocolate, and cross it to a silver-laced bird of the opposite gender.

If you cross a chocolate (solid or laced) hen to a silver laced rooster--keep only the sons, because they must carry chocolate, inherited from their mother. If one is chocolate laced and another is solid chocolate--keep the laced one, of course.

If you cross a chocolate-carrying rooster (either one of his parents was chocolate) to a silver laced hen, half of the daughters will be chocolate (solid or laced), so keep one of them--preferrably a laced one, of course. The other half of the daughters will not have chocolate. None of the sons will show chocolate, but half will carry it--you just don't know which half.

If you alternate those two generations, you will eventually have some fairly good chocolate laced silver hens, and can breed them to either their sons or their fathers (black laced silver, carry chocolate but do not show it) to get some roosters that also are chocolate laced.

At that point, you have silver laced chocolates of both genders, which should breed true.

They have some sweet looking birds,I hate to ask because they are in the business.Im just looking for my own pleasure.

Back
Top Bottom