Choking on Diesel Fumes *Update Page 6*

thaiturkey - i think you might be onto something. This truck is especially stinky. The owner even told me he has had friends complain about how bad it is. It's just a Ford pick-up but smells like it's a big 18-wheeler, maybe worse.

Anyhow, give me a wood-burning fireplace anytime over this truck. Heck, i would even prefer a skunk.

I was asking about white smoke, not black.
White smoke coming continously from a diesel after the start up can be 2 things. Glowplugs or the EGR.
I lost my EGR on a hill and it looked like one of those white streams you see behind a jet. Pretty sure I scared the crap out of the driver behind me.

Ask him if it is a 6.0 or a 7.3 or a 6.4 or a 6.7? Find out what year it is.

DH wants to know where you heard about the fumes causing cancer. If it was true he would probably been dead by now and his diesel instructor along with him.

Quote:
That must be horrid! But then again... you did say it was a Ford!
hide.gif

LOL

DH wants to know where you heard about the fumes causing cancer.

OP is in California......

When was the last time you saw a product that didn't have the warning "Known to the state of California to be a cancer cousing agent."​

What i want is to be able to leave our bedroom window open at night for fresh air and not wake up choking on exhaust fumes.

Put a fan in your window blowing OUT, and leave a window open on the opposite side of the house for the fresh air to come in​

Quote:
Not true for them ether. That's my specialty. My brother is diesel.

Quote:
Most people I know have them. Only about half actually use them. Wood/coal boilers are becoming very popular to.

My father was an engineer on engines of all kinds. He always said that a petrol engine idling on choke would suffer undue wear. It's advised generally in the UK that you start and go for the sake of your engine. I think I'll stick with my father on that, not that it is relevant to the OP's problem with a clapped out diesel engine.

We don't have home heating here. Back in the UK the only people who still have coke and wood fires are those with AGA's or heating stoves and that's usually for posing value. Coal isn't allowed now in home fires for health reasons.

Quote:
want me to ship you the ones that are hanging around my rabbit pens?
wink.png

I love the smell of wood smoke!!!

Thai-Turkey.. A lot of us still have open fireplaces, not the best solution in the world, but often times ours has a sheet of Styrofoam and plywood over the opening when not in use with the damper.. That way we don't loose all the heat in the house!

Quote:
wink.png

Thai-Turkey.. A lot of us still have open fireplaces, not the best solution in the world, but often times ours has a sheet of Styrofoam and plywood over the opening when not in use with the damper.. That way we don't loose all the heat in the house!

I remember all the old tricks to regulate the draft! I used to have an open log fire in the sitting room in England. Quite unnecessary because we had central heating but it looked good and I liked the smell of woodsmoke. Those fires play havoc with the air outside on a damp autumn evening though.

I have an old Diesel F250 with 320,000 miles on it. It only needs to idle a minute for the glowplugs to finish the cycle, even in wintertime. There must be something wrong with your neighbors truck, or he's "saving money" by running off-road diesel and/or used motor oil in it. The older IDI trucks (Ford 83 thru 93) are capable of burning a variety of alternative fuels.

Quote:
wink.png

I remember all the old tricks to regulate the draft! I used to have an open log fire in the sitting room in England. Quite unnecessary because we had central heating but it looked good and I liked the smell of woodsmoke. Those fires play havoc with the air outside on a damp autumn evening though.

I can imagine! Going to be replacing with a pot bellied stove, or a cook stove for the basement some day
smile.png
Supplimental heat, and something to do with all the excess wood here on the property.

Back
Top Bottom