choking on starter?

Meljo1978

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 5, 2014
Anyone have a chick side choking on food? I just found my lab orp chick dead :( food in its mouth... needless to say I chopped up the rest for the other babies!

Chick starter is specifically designed to be easily consumed by chicks - IF the starter is what caused the death of your chick I would suspect that abnormalities in your chick's anatomy was to blame over the feed.

Though I am curious about your statement regarding having "chopped up" the food for your remaining chicks -- what form of starter are you feeding? Standard chick crumble is already pretty well "chopped" and further manipulation of it would pretty much result in crushed powder.

I have put chick starter in a blender for quail chicks but
what you are describing I have never seen in over 40
years of hatching chicks and or raising chickens I would
have to say something was wrong with your chick to
start with and weird things happen ....
smile.png

It was my fault... I grabbed the starter grower bag!!!!!! I found out today!!! I feel awful. I hate when I learn a lesson and lose a life :(

It was my fault... I grabbed the starter grower bag!!!!!! I found out today!!! I feel awful. I hate when I learn a lesson and lose a life
sad.png

Still shouldn't have been an issue - and I stand by there being something else at play. Starter/grower is still designed to be used as a starter feed - meaning it is appropriate for the littlest ones.

Back
Top Bottom