Chook has a limp - any suggestions welcomed - Update 3/16

nellie

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 15, 2009
UK
Read the sticky so will attempt to answer all q's. And is just not happy - she is quiet and not as mobile as she was. Personally I think a visit to vet is caled for as I can't see anything that is causing this.

1) What type of bird , age and weight. - - she is a legbar, around 18months, don't know weight but she is ok weight wise.
2) What is the behavior, exactly. - - limps (right leg) she is using leg to sctratch her head but pronounced limp when walking. Also when standing places the right foot slightly on top of the left. She looks a bit unhappy, tail down.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? - - first noticed on Saturday, had a good feel and look, nothing on foot, leg or surrounding joint. She doesn't object to it being looked at.
4) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. - - None, no swelling, hot spots, broken or bruised skin.
5) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. - - no idea
6) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. - - layers pellets, mixed corn, water.
7) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. - - normal
8) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? - - none, thought it might just be a strain or something. However, think it is worse rather that better and she is not moving about as much.
9 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? - thinking about going to vet on Monday if no better.
10) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help. - - N/A
11) Describe the housing/bedding in use - 15 hen coop with 9 hens. Two perches and 4 nest boxes. floor is 8 inches deep in shavings. (V cold just now) Free range on pasture during day.

Thanks

Last edited:
Look very carefully at the bottom of her foot. Look for a small black circle. If you see anything like this, search for bumble foot. Good luck!

Yes, look at the bottom of the foot closely. I had a hen two weeks ago limping.... turns out she had a cut (no black circle because it hadn't got to bumblefoot yet). I treated it like it was bumblefoot to prevent it. Cleaned her foot every night before "bed" and soaked her feet in epsom salt (I put WAY more than you should to make it stronger) and then after drying her feet I would put triple antibotic ointment on the cut real thick.... 5 days of that and she isnt' limping anymore.

I had another hen last summer who got shoved IN, yes, in to the pallet that the coop is on by a dog (ok, my dog). She limped very slightly for about a week. She hadn't broke anything, she was just sore. All her feathers on her back were pulled out by the force of being slammed in that tiny space. She is fine now, and even more friendly since we had to save her to get her out. BTW. she is a Delaware and so she is not small at all. I still don't know how she fit.

If you want to use a antibiotic (be advised... some here are strongly against it) for bumblefoot, I recommend "LS-50" and you can find it in feed stores/co-ops, usually.

Good luck!!!

Thank you so much - just felt so helpless - will have good look in morning.

I don't have a prob with AB's if there are no other options.

Quote:
Yeah, I feel the same way. If it saves my birds, why make them suffer? If there is a black spot you may have to do surgery... or being that you are living in the UK you may have a vet able to cut the black out. I want to tell you, though, being as that I'm in the southern part of the US and the vets here will not treat a chicken, I have treated bumblefoot in three birds successfully without cutting any of them. Just like I had mentioned previously. Lots of epsom salt, triple antibiotic ointment, and twice I had to use LS-50 , as well. All three of the birds are walking around fine and never really missed a beat. I'll keep a watch on this thread... let us know how it goes!

I'm still pretty new to chickens, but for what it's worth, I've had a few limping episodes in my little flock. They were all alarming because of how listless the chicks got; I kept wondering if it was some other ailment. In one case, I eventually found a tiny splinter on her foot, but for all the others, I think it turned out to be a sprain. Chickens seem to sprain their legs really easily, and it's surprising how long it can take to get better (a few weeks at least in my experience so far). You mentioned no hot spots, but have you tried holding each leg in your hand for a few seconds? A friend showed me that that was a good way to identify a sprain - one leg will feel slightly warmer than the other. In all cases, I kept mine in a dog kennel inside the coop for a few days, so that they would have to rest their leg and I could keep an eye on them. I fed them hard-boiled egg yolks and yogurt too. I heard differing opinions about giving aspirin - some say it helps with swelling and pain, but others advised me it can make them more inclined to use the leg when they should be staying off of it. I also added a little ladder below their roost, so it was easier for them to get up to the roost. Good luck!

Check the feet of course then read Incident 04 on this page

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=7693-sick-hen

Incidents at this age and this time of year are often caused by nutritional demands. Cut out the corn unless it is still very cold, add a multivitamin to the water for the entire flock (no added iron). More bedding to cushion the leg joints and warm up the coop...and in a few days if this is the cause your chook should be much better. Oh and put a scrap piece of 4x4 in the bedding in a secluded location in case the bird is unable to go to roost.
cool.png

You have had a tough winter in the Uk and the birds may not be drinking the usual amount, so also check for dehydration. In unusual cold they huddle and 'forget' to drink.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for your replies and support.

I have examined Doris's feet at great length and also asked a friend to look too. As far as we can see there is no swelling, redness, dark rings, broken skin or heat in her legs or feet.

The only thing I noticed was a small dark area on the top of her foot at the joint of her central toe. However she moves the toe and doesn't seem to mind it being flexed.

She is going up to roost at night and also roosts in the run during the day. She doesn't venture out much but to be fair neither do the others as we have around 2 feet of snow.

I'll give them multivitamin in the water. Just now they get some cyder vinegar in the water and poultry spice on their pellets. They only get a hanful of corn prior to going in for the night.

They do drink a fair amount of water every day, however, I have no way of knowing if Doris is taking a good amount or not.

I'll leave her this week to see if it improves. If it gets worse or no improvement then I think I'd probably try the vet next week.

I'll add a wee ladder to the roost for her - can add a 'stepping stone' for her. The litter in the coop is about 8 inches of shavings just now to give them a bit more heat - I think a bit of 4x4 would get lost but I'll put a bit in anyway.

Once again thank you all.

Nell

Just quick update. Although not 100% yet Doris is much less lame than she was. Taking more of an interest and is out and about a bit more than she was.

Thanks for the help and support/ideas etc. You guys are great.

Nell

Back
Top Bottom