Chooks not right

Feb 1, 2023
My flock of 11 girls aren't going great. There are 9 Hylines, around 1yo, 1 black Australorp around 18 months and 1 old red chook. I treated them for red blood mites about a month ago, cleaned everything, multiple treatments with pestene powder, both the girls and their night lock up area. They have a very large outdoor day area with lots of dust bath space. They get good feed, pellets, fermented grain and kitchen scraps.

2 have been broody for getting on a few months. Their combs are shrunken and pale. I take them off the box multiple times a day. The rest look ratty, 2 have lost weight, 1 looked like she was starting a moult but her skin looks red and raw. Feathers are tatty at the ends. Egg production has dropped (outside of the broodys and the old girl). It's summer in the south east of Australia, but hasn't been that hot.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Looks like you are doing everything correct. I have no ideas.
Not sure what pestene powder is, since I have never used such. Maybe there are side effects from that:idunno

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and:welcome

Looks like you are doing everything correct. I have no ideas.
Not sure what pestene powder is, since I have never used such. Maybe there are side effects from that:idunno

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and:welcome
Thanks. Pestene powder was what everyone I spoke to recommend, I'm in a rural area and went to all the stock feeds/ag supplies in the region.

Attachments

• PXL_20230201_090355150.jpg
    PXL_20230201_090355150.jpg
    379.5 KB · Views: 1
Pictures of the birds would be helpful. The pestene should be OK.
Some thoughts, Broodies can be stubborn. The best way to break them is to use a wire crate raised off the ground on blocks or boards, no bedding material of any kind. They stay in there until they stop being broody. Examples below. May take one day, or a week. If you have two, they need to be done separately. Getting the body temp down helps break the broodiness.
If birds are exhibiting weight loss with no known reason then it's a good idea to get a fecal done to check for internal parasites. If you can't get that done, then I would consider worming them. What do droppings look like?
You may have feather picking going on, I would do some observing to see if that's the case. Sometimes it happens on the roosts at night. Coop space matters too. If you have one bird that is looking better than the others, that is often the culprit. If you are using a layer feed with 16% protein, try switching to a flock raiser type with 18 -20% protein.
Skin that is exposed often will look red and irritated.
At one year old birds often start to look ratty. They don't usually do their first annual molt til about 18 months old (that is not set in stone, some may molt earlier), so they can get some pretty ratty feathers before the first one happens sometimes.
Without pictures, those are just some suggestions to look for.
Broody busters:
Broody1.jpg

broody-hen-a-cage.jpg

Back
Top Bottom