Choosing a breed

ReignamdLuna

In the Brooder
Apr 15, 2017
I was looking online and saw that I could purchase day old ducklings, I was wanting to know what your experience was and if there is a specific website you recommend? Also what breed beside Perkins that won't fly?

Thanks in advance

I was looking online and saw that I could purchase day old ducklings, I was wanting to know what your experience was and if there is a specific website you recommend? Also what breed beside Perkins that won't fly?

Thanks in advance

Lots of people buy their ducks from Metzer Farms (link below). Many, many happy & satisfied customers. There's a duck breed comparison chart that can be very helpful and lots of good info on their site as well.

http://www.metzerfarms.com/index.cfm

Their are 3 breeds that can fly: Mallards, Calls & Muscovy. Most domesticated ducks are simply too heavy to fly.

Good luck & welcome to BYC!

I got my girls from Metzer, a WH and a Cayuga. The folks at Metzer are incredibly nice. There was a postal service screw up (very rare) that held my hatchlings up right to the end of the 3-day shipping priority mail guarantee and that was stressful. Next time I would opt for overnight.

P.S. I chose WH and Cayuga bc I wanted flightless birds....my Cayuga can and does fly but it's been more entertaining than anything else

I love my Silver Appleyards but I think they are already sold out from the Metzer website (I didn't get mine there) I'd be interested in Cayugas next after my Saxonys

I love my buffs and I have a blue swedish and Cayuga!
Received mine from Metzers as well.

right now i have two Swedish ducks, there scared of me, but there nice ducks. they don't fly (even though i have an enclosed run for them), there dual purpose, so they lay about 100-150 eggs per year and the drakes make good meat (even though i only have hens at the moment), i think if they where more tame they would be good ducks for pets, (mine are supposed to be pets)

also am getting a runner duck, as i just like them. but if your going for eggs i would recommend either runner, welsh harlequin or Campbell ducks

not sure where you live (if its USA or else where) as if your in Canada i could help you out (more western Canada).

Back
Top Bottom