Choosing your setting eggs

Well, I think that might be an old wive's tale.

When you select eggs to incubate, you do want to pick ones with that "perfect look" so that they babies come out healthy. So you don't want a looooong egg, or a round ball of an egg......You need that smaller end for the air sac.

Only one way to find out though....Hatch some eggs and see, I guess. ;)

But you know, old timers really do have that life experience that us younger ones haven't had yet. (I'm 50, so I'm not an old-timer quite yet. haha) They have alot of valuable information to share.....

Last edited:
People will want to argue with me but no, it's not true. If that were true, hatcheries that produce pullets for egg farms would only set "pullet" eggs. Each hen is prone to lay a certain shape egg, so that would mean some hens only produce cockerels and some only produce pullets.
The hatcheries produce 50/50 and don't have much of a market for boys.

People will want to argue with me but no, it's not true. If that were true, hatcheries that produce pullets for egg farms would only set "pullet" eggs. Each hen is prone to lay a certain shape egg, so that would mean some hens only produce cockerels and some only produce pullets.
The hatcheries produce 50/50 and don't have much of a market for boys.

Exactly - all the anecdotal "evidence" to the contrary aside, if there truly were any magic way to hatch pullets (the egg shape, the incubation temperature, etc) the hatchery industry would have hopped on that train long ago maximize production of pullet chicks which are the ones in demand.

Back
Top Bottom