Chriping? Some still un-hatched though...

Icrazyaboutu

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 23, 2009
Today when I went up to feed my horses, I saw that one of my chickens has had two of her eggs hatch. Is she gonna stay on her other eggs and is the hen next to her gonna abandon her eggs? She is almost to the hatching point too.

Oh. I forgot to say, They are being hatched naturally. That means mom is sitting on them and all.

Hi, first time on here, very excited. Are you going to leave the babies with the hen? And to answer your question she should stay on the eggs until they all hatch, maybe getting out for a toilet break or the like if she's a clean hen. The hen next to her should stay on her eggs too if they are getting along ok and nothing upsets them too much. Really does depend on the hens personalities too.

We are leaving the babies with their family. According to my mom, both breeds of hens that we have are good moms. I saw that the chicks that were born yesterday arent even all hers. I hope your right!

Hi ...still quit new to all this, but I have 2 girls sitting and 1 egg just hatched this morning.
jumpy.gif
. Sad to say I left the chick to be with momma hen and the other hen pecked its head off.
th.gif

We still have 4 more eggs to hatch so I think this time we are going to bring them in to see if we can keep them alive.

Concrats on babies!
ya.gif

So sad to hear about your poor little chicky. I took mine out of the nest box straight away, my hen was fine about it. I have them inside under lights. I was worried one of the other hens might have a go at them as the nest boxes are in the main coop. We also have hawks and the like around here so I was worried if they came out of the pen. My sheep would probably stand on them too.

When chicks hatch in a staggered pattern hens will very often come off the nest and wander away with the two-day old or so chicks. You have to keep an eye out for her perseverance. Once chicks hatch, she'll be less content on the nest and will often lead the hatched chicks off the nest to eat and drink and leave the stragglers to chill and die.

Back
Top Bottom