Christmas in October block Swap

Ladies~ I need some input from you. Tomorrow I'm going to go look at a Janome skyline s5 sewing machine. Then on saturday, I'm going to go look at the babylock melody sewing machine. Do any of you have an opinion on either of these brands. I have a friend who swears by babylock, but reviews are mixed. I've done my comparison. The Janome gives me the msrp, but I can't find any for the babylock. They are very close in features and functions. Does anyone know the ballpark price of the BL? Of course I'm hoping to find a good deal!
smile.png
Babylock is having a warehouse sale thru the 25th.
We own 4 Janome sewing machines and are very happy with them. My main go to machine is my Janome 6500 the forerunner of the Horizon. All our machines are around 11 years old and used daily. I do my sit down quilting on the 6500 if I am not using my long arm, Innova 26 in. on frame.

Last edited:
Oooo! I like the idea of a weeping willow too! How would you do that?

I would flip the top of the tree so it flat on top. Then move the(loose leaf) hst to the outside of the block. So 2 hst at the outer edge of the block, and hst across the bottom of the tree next to trunk. I hope this makes sence. I can see it but not draw it.

this is using Kass fall tree block

Last edited:
I would flip the top of the tree so it flat on top. Then move the(loose leaf) hst to the outside of the block. So 2 hst at the outer edge of the block, and hst across the bottom of the tree next to trunk. I hope this makes sence. I can see it but not draw it.

this is using Kass fall tree block

Makes sense to me, flat on top pointy row on bottom

Thank you ladies! I will be leaving in about 1/2 hour to go look at the Janome. I will give consideration on your recommendation Anna6 and fenrosie. I like to base my decisions on others experiences. It is, so far, Janome-3, Babylock-1. I am one of those people who research everything to death!!!
big_smile.png

I thank you too, for the idea on the weeping willow block. That make so much sense! Duh! I'm trying to get started on my Christmas block, but waiting to see about the machine decision. The older I get, I can only handle about one big decision at a time!!

Ok. I went and tried the janome. I Love, love it! I was there about 2 hours. She just got a couple in. She took it out of the box, set it up for me and explained how it worked. She threaded it, wound the bobbin, and just started sewing. No fooling with tension,nothing! It is sooo quiet, and runs like a knife thru warm butter! The embroidery stitches were beautiful. Didn't need to do anything but switch modes, choose stitch number, and maybe change the foot, which by the way was very easy, and start sewing. They were so very nice and friendly. I just have to figure out how to pay for it!
lol.png
It is under msrp, but still a lot. The lady at the bed and breakfast I was at last week paid $500 below msrp. This one isn't as much of a discount a hers, but it does come with the walking foot, free motion foot, and several others. Lots of accessories! I'm not sure what all hers came with, but I would think the same. Decisions, Decisions!!
It was ufo day there. Every Friday they get together and work on whatever. They were ordering lunch and invited me. One lady took me around and explained a project they were going to do on the 31st, called a switch and swap, (I think that is what they called it) and invited me to that. They are all going to learn how to do it. It is a kaleidoscope like block. You pick a fabric with lots of pattern, say a large floral. They have a small hinged mirror that you set on the center of a flower on your fabric, and open it to whatever width that looks the best, then you can see what the block will look like. You would cut wedges using that particular flower until you had enough for your block. It was beautiful! I think I'm going to try it. They all help one another, so I can learn a lot from them.
majack, this may be the start of something beautiful!!!
lol.png
Sorry this is so long! But I'm pretty excited!

Last edited:
Janome, and other manufacturers , generally drop their prices when there is a large quilt or sewing show on. This is because they all compete against one another at the show. In the UK the Janome machines are the same price in every dealers because the price is controlled by Janome, I don't know about other makes. What model number was it?

Janome, and other manufacturers , generally drop their prices when there is a large quilt or sewing show on. This is because they all compete against one another at the show. In the UK the Janome machines are the same price in every dealers because the price is controlled by Janome, I don't know about other makes. What model number was it?
I couldn't find a model number, but it is a new one called skyline s5. So maybe wait until a quilt show and go there and buy it?

It looks a nice machine, I can't find that they are available in the uk. I don't think you will have to go to the quilt show, unless you want too, your local dealers price will be down when a national quilt show is on. It is always better to buy from your local dealer because they will help you out with any queries or problems you have.

Back
Top Bottom