Christmas present from my chickens! First egg!!

Congratulations on your egg...more will follow soon...my first egg was a whopper...double yolks

Congrats! & merry Xmas. We've had chickens since March and we still get excited about our free range eggs. We had lots of double yokers in the beginning.

Went down tonight and all the Buff Orpingtons were in and around the nest boxes. Now I'm thinking it might of been one of them that layed it. We will see if there are more tomorrow :)

I'm going to buy oyster shell too. I had just switched them to layena feed a couple weeks ago.

What was funny about my pullet (and first egg ever!) was I had gone out because my coop was in danger of flooding, to check on it and she was sitting all pretty in the nest box. Then I noticed her vent contracting so I thought wow, I'm gonna see it!! Imagine my excitement :) But she moved a tad and I saw an egg, so I looked at it and wasn't sure if I should leave it or take it away so I left it thinking I'd take it later, thinking I'd missed the actually laying but her vent must have still been contracting or something. Came home later to find 2 eggs! So apparently she was getting ready to lay one and I should have stuck around! She laid 3 since Sunday - I was surprised because it's a d'uccle and I really don't know what kind of layers they are. I got my chickens to be pets and don't really even want eggs lol! they are so cute though.

Got another one!! Woohoo!!
Any advice on nesting materials? As you can see, the fling out all the wood chips in favor of laying on the wood. Looks like they have all been going in and checking out the egg by the amount of poo in there...

Are those wood chips or wood shavings? I think hens prefer softer nesting material like shavings or straw. They love to "bathe" in it, flinging it onto their backs.

You're on a roll now! Soon eggs all over the place!

Congrats Stacey! and all who got first egg Christmas presents! We got our first egg Dec.22, from the smallest Buff. She laid Dec.23, too. Then Christmas Day we got a big double yoke egg from somebody. My Buff was laying in the coop in the shavings, so when I saw her laying there in her "nest" Dec.24 I picked her up and put her in one of the nesting boxes. She knows where to go now! Got another egg today in the correct place. This is sooooo EGGCITING! Happy New Year to you and your chickens.

Are those wood chips or wood shavings? I think hens prefer softer nesting material like shavings or straw. They love to "bathe" in it, flinging it onto their backs.

You're on a roll now! Soon eggs all over the place!

Wood shavings. I put some more in today and kinda "shaped" them into a nest shape. We will see tonight if they flung them all out or not. If so I will see about getting some straw. I'm assuming the one who layed is the BO with the red comb and wattles. All the others are still pale (not sure if that is a sign of laying eggs or not)

I'm so glad they figured out on their own to use the nest boxes and I didn't have to teach them. The other pullets keep flying up and checking out the egg in the box so I'm hoping it teaches them that that's where to lay once they start :)

Got our first blue/green egg this afternoon from Priscilla, one of our Ameraucaunas. I can't believe I am so thrilled over eggs. It is quite amazing though. And, when they have just been laid and are still warm, that is awesome. Stacey, I use pine shavings.

Got our first blue/green egg this afternoon from Priscilla, one of our Ameraucaunas. I can't believe I am so thrilled over eggs.  It is quite amazing though.  And, when they have just been laid and are still warm, that is awesome.  Stacey, I use pine shavings.

I know!! Who knew eggs could be so exciting! :D I can't wait until my Easter Eggers start laying and I get the green/blue eggs

Back
Top Bottom