Chronic Crop Binding

TinaMarieofFL

Songster
5 Years
Apr 29, 2018
Hilliard, FL
Hello BYC Peeps (pun intended)

I've been having an issue with an 18 mo Ameraucana hen. She has what I believe to be crop binding. This latest episode is the 4th one in a month. Is this normal? Does she have some disorder/malfunction? When this occurs, I bring inside for several days each time. The last episode she was fine for a full week, then she was down. After 5 days, she is on the rebound again, have had her in my laundry room, giving her B12 and olive oil in her water. Have been massaging her crop frequently. I have also given her olive oil by mouth via syringe after which I massage her crop. Twice (this episode) I thought she was dead after going a little bizerk and falling over onto her side. I yelled at her and massaged her body, she pulled through both times.
I have 4 others that I allow to free range and secure before dark. She is the only one that has this issue. Any advice? I can't keep doing this, work full time.

I have read of people finding string, nails, wire, and all sort of garbage in a deceased chickens crop. To me a chronic problem means there's something in it that is causing a blockage, or there's something internal that impeding the crop from emptying like tumors.

Chickens can aspirate very easy, so giving anything by mouth can cause death if done incorrectly. Chickens cannot cough like we do, and they don't have lungs, they have air sacs.

What exactly are you seeing?

I have read of people finding string, nails, wire, and all sort of garbage in a deceased chickens crop. To me a chronic problem means there's something in it that is causing a blockage, or there's something internal that impeding the crop from emptying like tumors.

Chickens can aspirate very easy, so giving anything by mouth can cause death if done incorrectly. Chickens cannot cough like we do, and they don't have lungs, they have air sacs.

What exactly are you seeing?
When I find her down, she is lethargic, crop is full and firm.
At first I thought she was egg bound, so I did the typical remedies for that.
I have been giving her olive oil by mouth via syringe and them massaging her crop. I had been putting olive oil in her water, but for the last two days I have been giving it by syringe and then massaging. Seems to be working faster because her crop is much softer and she's eating more. Up until last month, I haven't had any problems with any of them.
She is passing watery poo/pee, so things are moving, albeit slowly.
These are my first chickens and I would hate to lose any but I also know it is inevitable. Do you have any ideas?

I guess keep up what you are doing. It will either resolve or it won't. I've had 2 with crop problems over the years, both did not live long term for me. I think it's reflective of other problems.

Maybe @Eggcessive has and idea.

Most crop problems I have seen are in older hens with reproductive disorders. It is best to give fluids by a feeding tube and massage the crop to help the blockage pass. If this has happened multiple times, I would consider seeing a vet to have crop surgery to get the blockage out. Here are 2 articles that might have helpful information:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...ntion-and-treatments-of-crop-disorders.67194/

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

I guess keep up what you are doing. It will either resolve or it won't. I've had 2 with crop problems over the years, both did not live long term for me. I think it's reflective of other problems.

Maybe @Eggcessive has and idea.
Ugh. I was hoping you were going to give me the miracle cure!
She seems better this morning, crop is empty and she is hungry.
Her poo is kinda odd looking, kinda dry with tiny fibers. Could be caused by all the oil I've given her.
She ate pellets, tomatoes, kale and carrots this morning. If she still seems ok, I will return her to the flock today.

Back
Top Bottom