Chronicles of Raising Meat Birds - Modern Broilers, Heritage and Hybrids

Pics
Oh I want some all right but... I am not sure I want to wait that long. Of course I keep eyeballing the delaware available through freedom ranger hatchery. But the availability is very limited. I think I will be ordering some Delaware from both privet hatchery and cackle. Privet because my local feed store uses them and they will be happy to throw a dozen on their order for me and cackle because I am making a special order for a friend so I might as well get a few of theirs... maybe I should be posting i . Delaware section? Oops

I feel like somewhere in this thread someone was talking about the Ideal black broiler? Ive been on the phone for days it seems with hatcheries and Hubbard and broiler people nailing down information so we can expand.

Just got some info regarding Ideal... they are there own line of birds, the black and red broiler that they sell. They manage the breeding lines. They're not as big as the new Hubbard broilers (freedom color yield, royal red, etc.), or the Freedom Rangers. 16 weeks to mature weights, 8.5 hens, 10.5 males. They don't have feed conversion information. I'm going to do a few feed conversion trials on pasture when we move right away, so I may do some of these ideal birds, too.

Also, just some more information on CC.... ideal told me they buy their Cornish crosses in the fall through Welp hatchery. They just switched parent stock for Cornish crosses and now go through Cobb when they used to use the Hubbard Ross 308. They think the new Cobb broilers will allow them to hatch their own year round.

I feel like somewhere in this thread someone was talking about the Ideal black broiler? Ive been on the phone for days it seems with hatcheries and Hubbard and broiler people nailing down information so we can expand.

Just got some info regarding Ideal... they are there own line of birds, the black and red broiler that they sell. They manage the breeding lines. They're not as big as the new Hubbard broilers (freedom color yield, royal red, etc.), or the Freedom Rangers. 16 weeks to mature weights, 8.5 hens, 10.5 males. They don't have feed conversion information. I'm going to do a few feed conversion trials on pasture when we move right away, so I may do some of these ideal birds, too.

Also, just some more information on CC.... ideal told me they buy their Cornish crosses in the fall through Welp hatchery. They just switched parent stock for Cornish crosses and now go through Cobb when they used to use the Hubbard Ross 308. They think the new Cobb broilers will allow them to hatch their own year round.

Good information as always.

There is a separate thread somewhere around here on those Ideal Black Broilers. The focus of that thread was that they made a good egg layer as well so made a nice dual purpose bird. And I don't remember on what thread but there is a dressed out picture if one of those Ideal Black Broilers. I remember a longer keel and less breast than on the birds more towards the CX crosses.

Just popping in to say I weighed a few birds this week and the Imperials are gaining a pound a week right now across the board. Females almost 4 pounds, males 5 at 8 weeks. Just slightly smaller than the Robust and Royal reds were at this point. Far more active. I find them everywhere, like this huge male that climbs up and into everything.
D0B14062-5836-404E-A642-54CEDA4DCA92.jpeg

Delawares are also doing well, most males over 2 pounds.

setting 9 eggs today from the Robust White holdovers. I have two about 7 days into development, and one of these is a for sure Royal Red.
95E3633F-B926-4F10-BBBF-50AF502058F4.jpeg

I will update next week with growth photos and how many of these are fertile at 4 day candling!
5B5730E8-089C-4D2E-BF2B-C8DF8F03E2D5.jpeg

7B7E5932-3F41-42A4-9A7B-D0C57C919DA5.jpeg

3B278AAF-B57F-4269-AC58-4FD58DA14228.jpeg

What is the dark bird (almost black bird) near the back of this last picture? Doesn't look like any of the others.
That’s a out of focus, molting, speckled Sussex hen.

she actually is really feeling down in the pecking order while molting so she has been running a lot with the meat birds and younger birds.

Good information as always.

There is a separate thread somewhere around here on those Ideal Black Broilers. The focus of that thread was that they made a good egg layer as well so made a nice dual purpose bird. And I don't remember on what thread but there is a dressed out picture if one of those Ideal Black Broilers. I remember a longer keel and less breast than on the birds more towards the CX crosses.
This one?
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/ideal-hatchery-black-broiler-honest-review.1299875/

Back
Top Bottom