Chronicles of Raising Meat Birds - Modern Broilers, Heritage and Hybrids

Pics
I filled out the "ask a question" as to about how old to butcher and dressed weights
here is the response 12 weeks and :smack
McMurray Hatchery <[email protected]>
To:
Nov 4 at 1:27 PM

--:: Reply above this line to post a reply ::--

Delaware Broiler

The Delaware Enhanced Heritage Broiler is an updated version of the classic dual-purpose breed, taking a family favorite and making it and even better meat bird.

Typically they are butchered around 12 weeks of age. Dressed weight can vary depending on nutrition, hydration, stress, environment, etc.

Heritage breeds taste better and live naturally long lives, and these birds are no exception. Our Delaware Broiler will provide more meat then comparable Heritage birds, but retain the great characteristics that make this bird a traditional barnyard favorite.

Raise these hens as layers, and process them when older. These birds are considered a slow growth broiler.

Type: standard
Egg Color: brown
Egg Size: large
Egg Production: good
Meat Production: excellent
Disposition: better
Freerange: excellent
Skin Color: yellow
Comb Type: single
Likely to sit on eggs: not at all likely
Bird Size: extra large
Exotic: no
Leg Style: clean
Leg Color: yellow

-------------------------------------------------------------
Sincerely,
Murray McMurray Hatchery

I filled out the "ask a question" as to about how old to butcher and dressed weights
here is the response 12 weeks and :smack
McMurray Hatchery <[email protected]>
To:
Nov 4 at 1:27 PM

--:: Reply above this line to post a reply ::--

Delaware Broiler

The Delaware Enhanced Heritage Broiler is an updated version of the classic dual-purpose breed, taking a family favorite and making it and even better meat bird.

Typically they are butchered around 12 weeks of age. Dressed weight can vary depending on nutrition, hydration, stress, environment, etc.

Heritage breeds taste better and live naturally long lives, and these birds are no exception. Our Delaware Broiler will provide more meat then comparable Heritage birds, but retain the great characteristics that make this bird a traditional barnyard favorite.

Raise these hens as layers, and process them when older. These birds are considered a slow growth broiler.

Type: standard
Egg Color: brown
Egg Size: large
Egg Production: good
Meat Production: excellent
Disposition: better
Freerange: excellent
Skin Color: yellow
Comb Type: single
Likely to sit on eggs: not at all likely
Bird Size: extra large
Exotic: no
Leg Style: clean
Leg Color: yellow

-------------------------------------------------------------
Sincerely,
Murray McMurray Hatchery

Not sure how much actual useful information they have included here.

I asked “do you know what these are, have they been selectively bred for utility or have they been crossed with something?”

and she goes “yeah thats it. it’s my understanding they were bred”

I go oh. Okay. Thanks?

I took it to mean she answers the phones. I’m going to try and call/email someone who may know.
LOL.

I Love the idea of an "improved " delaware.... its actually what I have been working twords. You would think they would have more info. Oh and be available before june 2020 I think I saw?

I Love the idea of an "improved " delaware.... its actually what I have been working twords. You would think they would have more info. Oh and be available before june 2020 I think I saw?
Honestly, I really got the impression that she wouldn’t know much of anything specific. She said “I’m sorry, we were given this a few days ago.” Like all she really can do for someone is read them the general description of something.

I’ll call back and ask to speak to someone else.

it’s also super interesting they’re such low volume and all straight run. I wonder if they’re coming from somewhere else?

Honestly, I really got the impression that she wouldn’t know much of anything specific. She said “I’m sorry, we were given this a few days ago.” Like all she really can do for someone is read them the general description of something.

I’ll call back and ask to speak to someone else.

it’s also super interesting they’re such low volume and all straight run. I wonder if they’re coming from somewhere else?
I guess we just expect a lot from folks. It must be hard to know everything about all that they do

I asked them last night if they were hybrids and adult weights... they ignored the hybrid question

--:: ::--

These are like our Murrays Big Red Broilers in size.

Adult male: approx 10 lbs.
Adult female: approx 7 lbs
The plot thickens! :lau

I’ve been speaking directly to Hubbard on some things lately and I’m pretty sure they told me they provide that Murray big red broiler. They said that Murray has the fastest growth rate of all the red broilers that Hubbard makes. (Interesting for sure....off topic of our current discussions but something to think about...)

the size is interesting but I’m really curious how long it takes on these new Delawares.

Back
Top Bottom