Are Our 9 Week Olds Chrowing Chickens or Crowing Roosters? Please See Pics.

• Total voters

gohappy

Chirping
May 24, 2018
We bought five chicks from our local hardware store 9 weeks ago (straight run). Last week three of them started crowing. Almond Joy is a Rhode Island Red, Comet is a Barred Rock, and Baby (the brown one with small comb and waddle) is . . well don't know. At the hardware store the manager did not even know what kinds of breeds they had in stock. So we had to search the Internet and found out about the other two.

Comet so far is staying away from the others most of the time and keeping watch.
Almond Joy so far is asserting dominance, but nothing too ruff.
Baby was the runt and still is. She/He had swaddle leg when we bought her/him but we where able to fix that. Baby does pick fights from time to time.

We live in a town where no roosters are aloud. So the crowing chickens are in the house at night till we find out if they are male or female (since I've read that some chickens will crow). So far all three only crow between 6:30-7:00 A.M.

Attachments

• Almond Joy 1.jpg
    Almond Joy 1.jpg
    588.8 KB · Views: 34
  • Almond Joy 2.jpg
    Almond Joy 2.jpg
    561.1 KB · Views: 31
  • Almon Joy 3.jpg
    Almon Joy 3.jpg
    480 KB · Views: 28
  • Comet 1.jpg
    Comet 1.jpg
    685.9 KB · Views: 29
  • Comet 2.jpg
    Comet 2.jpg
    611.9 KB · Views: 28
  • Comet 3.jpg
    Comet 3.jpg
    446.2 KB · Views: 27
  • Baby 1.jpg
    Baby 1.jpg
    623 KB · Views: 72
  • Baby 2.jpg
    Baby 2.jpg
    591.1 KB · Views: 26
  • Baby 3.jpg
    Baby 3.jpg
    427.9 KB · Views: 30
We bought five chicks from our local hardware store 9 weeks ago (straight run). Last week three of them started crowing. Almond Joy is a Rhode Island Red, Comet is a Barred Rock, and Baby (the brown one with small comb and waddle) is . . well don't know. At the hardware store the manager did not even know what kinds of breeds they had in stock. So we had to search the Internet and found out about the other two.

Comet so far is staying away from the others most of the time and keeping watch.
Almond Joy so far is asserting dominance, but nothing too ruff.
Baby was the runt and still is. She/He had swaddle leg when we bought her/him but we where able to fix that. Baby does pick fights from time to time.

We live in a town where no roosters are aloud. So the crowing chickens are in the house at night till we find out if they are male or female (since I've read that some chickens will crow). So far all three only crow between 6:30-7:00 A.M.
Think you got a straight run of roosters.

I don’t think Almond Joy is an RIR. I don’t know much about other breeds but I own six RIRs and none of them have that coloring. Hopefully someone can tell you what Almond Joy and Baby are.

Those are cockerels, I do not see any RIRs, hens can crow but that usually only happens once they get extremely old and stop laying. I think a hormone imbalance is what causes hens to crow, it can also cause hens to grow rooster feathers.
A female chicken under one year is a Pullet
A male chicken under one year is a Cockerel
A female chicken over one year is a Hen
A male chicken over one year is a Rooster
Female chickens are either Hens or Pullets, not "chickens"
Both female and male chickens are Chickens. All of the birds in these pictures are chickens.

Sorry they all turned out to be cockerels. I've heard of folks keeping them in a bachelor pad - as long as no females are around, they can get along peacefully.

So what breed do you think" Almond Joy is?"

Those are cockerels, I do not see any RIRs, hens can crow but that usually only happens once they get extremely old and stop laying. I think a hormone imbalance is what causes hens to crow, it can also cause hens to grow rooster feathers.
A female chicken under one year is a Pullet
A male chicken under one year is a Cockerel
A female chicken over one year is a Hen
A male chicken over one year is a Rooster
Female chickens are either Hens or Pullets, not "chickens"
Both female and male chickens are Chickens. All of the birds in these pictures are chickens.

Back
Top Bottom