Chubby Pullet(s)

davidfchickens

Chirping
Oct 5, 2020
Hello,
I own 6 Buff Orpington Pullets, around 6 months old. One is laying, the smallest of the bunch. All the others are at different points. Some look close to mature, there are a few that are NOT mature at ALL. Since they getting older, I switched to a 16% layer feed. They enjoy alfalfa hay and whole corn each day once. With winter it is hard to get them outside, they don't venture over the snow. There are a couple of hens that are massive. Double the size of the one laying hen. I am wondering what to do? I don't want them to get fat...I have started to ration the food out, and am thinking about cutting back on the treats. Please help! I got chickens in part because I could not watch factory chickens to become obese.

Thanks

Orpingtons are piglets as they are a heavy breed. They can take awhile to mature and some may not start to lay until the day light hours lengthen. One of our Orpingtons is the fattest chicken ever but our other one is more normal sized/shaped.

I would just give them the layer feed and lay off the treats for awhile until they can be more active.

Back
Top Bottom