Cicadas: zip code + Emerging? Chicken Behavior? Any seen?

Hey, can we keep track of the emerging cicadas?

Start your post with your zip code... and follow with comments. For example:

22542 (that's my zip)

Noticed that chickens are congregating in areas they usual don't, e.g., compost pile, under large trees. I have NOT seen any cicadas, but I think their behavior is a bit odd. I have examined the dirt and have found no "holes" that would be evidence of "birth". Likewise, have not seen any bodies on trees, nor any cast-off exoskeletons.
Are we specifically looking for the black cicadas with amber wings, or the green ones with grey wings (dog-day)? I just heard the first sag-day cicada down here in eastern Kansas yesterday.

I’m sorry but I am so disappointed, and so are my chickens. It looks like where I am, zip code 22542, we will be getting just the normal August cicadas. According to the experts I was supposed to have about 7 million.

talk about a difference between forecast and reality, I think this one takes the prize.

I told the chickens this morning. All of them just fluffed up and looked broody, even the rooster. It was quite a sight. Just imagine, A chick looking broody.

I told them they needed to get over it and get out of the coop and go out and free range. They grumbled the whole way out...

We here in east tn had a zillion of them and I think most of them were in my backyard. You could not stay outside long before they were in your hair, on your back, or in your face. My chickens are cooped and covered so we picked them off the trees by the handfuls and gave them to the chickens.. They went crazy for them. There finally all gone now and its so quiet and nice. Chickens are back to mealworms now for treats.

I’m sorry but I am so disappointed, and so are my chickens. It looks like where I am, zip code 22542, we will be getting just the normal August cicadas. According to the experts I was supposed to have about 7 million.

talk about a difference between forecast and reality, I think this one takes the prize.

I told the chickens this morning. All of them just fluffed up and looked broody, even the rooster. It was quite a sight. Just imagine, A chick looking broody.

I told them they needed to get over it and get out of the coop and go out and free range. They grumbled the whole way out...
What do those 'experts' know? :tongue🤣

Back
Top Bottom