Cinnamon Queens a breed?

gymbeau

In the Brooder
10 Years
Sep 16, 2009
West Alabama
Saw a listing for Cinnamon Queens and I inquired as to what rooster and hen were used.

The response was Cinnamon Queens are a breed.

I thought that they were a type of sex link.

Please educate me!

Quote:
I have some and not 100% sure on the genetics but they are a sex linked bird. The boys become white and the girls become the cinnamon color-you can sex them at birth and alot of TSC and such sell them as day old chicks.. SOrry not much help Im sure the experts will help:)

As sonew123 said they are sex-linked meaning that at hatching the males are diffrent coloured than the females. If you breed a CQ with a CQ the offspring will be mixed coloured and not sex-linked.

Cinnamon Queens are a cross breed - a mutt - if you breed one to another they will not produce an off spring like the parents. The names for the sex -links are made up by hatcheries looking to make a barnyard variety mutt seem a bit more exotic to the buying public. They are bred so that upon hatch the sex can be identified by sight relating to the coloring of the down. They can pick out and sell the females easier.

Does anyone have pictures they could post of their Cinnamon Queens?? I tried to google it, but not much came up. Also, does anyone know if they are as good of layers as the Golden Comets? I am interested in replacing my flock with some red sex links and wondered what everyones opinions are on them. Ive also heard you can cross a RIR with a RIW to get a sex link. Any pictures or opinions on which would be best would be helpful. -Thanks

Cinnamon Queen is just another name for Red-Sex link.

Red Sex-Links are the result of various crosses. White Rocks with the silver factor (the dominant white gene would produce all white offspring) are crossed with a New Hampshire male to produce the Golden Comet. Silver Laced Wyandotte crossed with New Hampshire gives the Cinnamon Queen. Two other crosses are obtained with Rhode Island White x Rhode Island Red, and Delaware x Production Red. These two crosses are simply called Red Sex-Links. Males hatch out white and, depending on the cross, feather out to pure white or with some black feathering. Females hatch out buff or red also depending on cross, and they feather out in one of three ways.

http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGP/Sex-links/BRKSexLink.html

Feather site and Henderson's Chicken chart are you best friends.
big_smile.png

Here is pic of CQ at 8 months(she started laying at 22 weeks)... she is now 9 months old and gives 6-7 medium sized light brown eggs a week now.

Has real good feed conversion too.

10376_img_1126.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom