Cinnamon Swirl eggs!!!

She looks a lot like a Deathlayer for sure, so I'd say BCM (if that has to be one half) x Deathlayer. Eggs rotate as they go through the egg duct, hence the swirl of color. I bet her eggs re not staying in the egg duct long enough at certain points to get a more oval shape or lay the last coloring down correctly. Assuming she's a new layer, it will probably work itself out in a few months time.
This is really, really helpful! Thank you!! I’ll have to keep everyone posted on if her eggs end up becoming normal. So far though, only cinnamon swirl eggs!

I have one laying blue "torpedoes" like that!
Aunt Angus, I have 2 welsummers that just started laying. One has laid eggs like that, long & slender. I thought it was Chicken Little , the runt of the 10 my daughter-in-law bought & I adopted 2 of because she has been slower than her sister in everything & these eggs have appeared just in the past 7-10 days (3 total). There have been about 10 or so in abt 3 weeks that look like your other egg & i have assumed came from her sister.

Last edited:
Those are some swanky eggs! Cinnamon galaxy...

Here is another great thread describing egg pigmentation and it even has a picture of a cinnamon sprinkled egg like yours.

https://www.thehappychickencoop.com/colored-chicken-eggs-guide/

Best I can guess is the swirl comes from the pigmentation process. Maybe the egg is twisting during shell formation causing the lovely swirl? Whatever the cause, it looks amazing.

This is a fascinating thought. The rest of her egg is almost impossible to crack. But I notice her eggs do crack at the swirl sometimes. Never thought about it being something to do with the actual swirl being less sturdy. The rest of the egg certainly makes up for it. Once cracked the egg is sort of weird inside. The whites are more like jelly and don’t really stick to the yolk. Very weird egg!
I have a hen that lays very thin fragile shelled eggs every now and then. The inside is much like you described. I have to kinda scrape the shell to get all the white out.

Those of you saying about the torpedo eggs; I ordered eggs from a hatchery and all the orp eggs were like that. I had one hatch, unassisted, surprisingly. I assumed that it was a weird red Orpington thing and didn’t keep the chick because I thought the eggs were ugly. 🤣

OP, I wouldn’t be too concerned either unless other signs develop to show there’s a problem with the bird. :)

Back
Top Bottom