Circles the Chicken has a Limp

You guys have a beautiful coop! I hope we can build one like that one day. The theme of our backyard is "tenporary fixes" mostly because we know we want to fix the backyard to make it look nice and function better but other needs have taken priority for now.

I can see how crates would make a good ramp. Our birds like to perch on our gardening bench and they use the empty pots stacked upside down next to it to hop up to the table. I think I will move the buckets to the coop until husband has a day off to make a ramp with scrap wood.

I picked up the flock raiser and the scratch. Grabbed some more buckets to keep rodents out and everything is placed near the coop to make everything as easy as I can.

We use a 5 gallon bucket from home depot. It has a watering cup in it. We dump the water out and replace it with new when the water becomes stale. The instructions on the vitamins say one scoop per gallon and to replace the water daily. Well, they dont drink 5 gallons in a day. I have a freshly emptied milk jug that is 1 gallon and I think we have another watering cup around here somewhere. Maybe that will do for now?

Circles is still hobbling around and I'm not sure if it is getting better or worse. I need to find a way to confine her so she stops trying to keep up with her buddies. But the yard they use is large so I need to make a run for them so they cant go too far away from her. Circles is like a golden retriever and she wants to be a part of the group but because she isn't bright the other two don't let her catch up.

As soon as the sun is up and I let the girls out I will update you more on Circles and the run.

Thank you so much for the help and advice. It means a lot. We love watching Circles be herself. She is an odd bird, but we love her.

You guys have a beautiful coop! I hope we can build one like that one day. The theme of our backyard is "tenporary fixes" mostly because we know we want to fix the backyard to make it look nice and function better but other needs have taken priority for now.

I can see how crates would make a good ramp. Our birds like to perch on our gardening bench and they use the empty pots stacked upside down next to it to hop up to the table. I think I will move the buckets to the coop until husband has a day off to make a ramp with scrap wood.

I picked up the flock raiser and the scratch. Grabbed some more buckets to keep rodents out and everything is placed near the coop to make everything as easy as I can.

We use a 5 gallon bucket from home depot. It has a watering cup in it. We dump the water out and replace it with new when the water becomes stale. The instructions on the vitamins say one scoop per gallon and to replace the water daily. Well, they dont drink 5 gallons in a day. I have a freshly emptied milk jug that is 1 gallon and I think we have another watering cup around here somewhere. Maybe that will do for now?

Circles is still hobbling around and I'm not sure if it is getting better or worse. I need to find a way to confine her so she stops trying to keep up with her buddies. But the yard they use is large so I need to make a run for them so they cant go too far away from her. Circles is like a golden retriever and she wants to be a part of the group but because she isn't bright the other two don't let her catch up.

As soon as the sun is up and I let the girls out I will update you more on Circles and the run.

Thank you so much for the help and advice. It means a lot. We love watching Circles be herself. She is an odd bird, but we love her.

Thank you! The completion of that coop/run took over 1 1/2yrs., but it was a labor of love on my husband's part, I do cherish it and enjoy it very much. Some things are worth waiting for.

If the bucket has only 1 watering cup, you may want to consider adding the extra one to that - making it a 2 cup waterer. Chickens like to eat and drink together - it's like they cheer each other on. Mixing a gallon of vitamin water would be fine for 3 girls. I have 7 total and they do drink quite a bit, especially in winter. My waterer only holds 2 gallons, but I usually change it out everyday or sometimes a couple of times a day - like when they decide to take a dust bath right next to the water - it gets full of dirt!

I like Flock Raiser, this is what I use year round. I offer oyster shell free choice, the girls will take what they need for calcium. I usually limit scratch/treats to around 10% of their daily intake, a little scratch goes a long way. Mine also love fresh fruit/veggies - I do freeze and can veggies from the garden as well. Since yours get out in the yard, I'm sure they have access to grass and bugs, so that's a bonus
smile.png

I think the buckets/crates will work for them to hop on to get inside the coop. It's all about using what you have available.

Sometimes the limping can get worse if she is trying to keep up, I know when one of my girls injured her foot jumping from a roost, she limped badly trying to be "normal" - this is why I confined her in a dog kennel inside the run. She is just fine now, but it took a couple of weeks, I would let her out a couple of times a day to take a dust bath and "hang out" and she roosted with the others.

I have 2 Barred Rocks, I like them very much, so I can see why you love your Circles, they are so entertaining. Keep us posted.

I didnt get a chance to take photos before the sun went down. But what I did was put up a plastic baby play yard out (it's not a dog kennel but it will do). I arranged it to have 4 walls because she is hobbling much worse than yesterday and I want her to not go far and overdo it like I think she did yesterday. She got grounded. I put some plywood over the top of the baby play yard so she wouldn't try to jump out.

I made a gallon of vitamin water and split it up between the two areas but placed the pail and Circles' bowl as close to eachother as possible. Same as the feed so they would eat together. Turns out the other two stay close by as long as she is near their feed, water, and coop.

I found the watering cup but I cant find a drill or drill bit to install it. That's on the list of things to do when husband comes back from work and the baby is tucked into bed.

Funny story about the play yard being so close to the coop. The other two like to jump onto it as it is a good middle point between the coop and the ground. Circles can't find them when they are sitting above her. But!!! When I opened the door to the coop tonight, the other two jumped in and I picked Circles up and put her in with her friends. Her feathers are coming back and I think she will appreciate the company tonight. The ramp still needs to be built but I need to find the right tools and get the project done before naptime is over. Maybe husband can help me get started on it tonight so I can finish it sooner than later.

Pictures will follow. We might have to wait til the sun comes out again so I can take photos of what I have done so far. It has been a busy day.

Oh! And... I didn't get a chance to build a run. But that was because I didn't see a huge need for it anymore because the leader and her henchman(I do really need to name them already) seem to stick close to the play yard for most of the day.

Thank you!  The completion of that coop/run took over 1 1/2yrs., but it was a labor of love on my husband's part, I do cherish it and enjoy it very much.  Some things are worth waiting for.

If the bucket has only 1 watering cup, you may want to consider adding the extra one to that - making it a 2 cup waterer.  Chickens like to eat and drink together - it's like they cheer each other on.  Mixing a gallon of vitamin water would be fine for 3 girls.  I have 7 total and they do drink quite a bit, especially in winter.  My waterer only holds 2 gallons, but I usually change it out everyday or sometimes a couple of times a day - like when they decide to take a dust bath right next to the water - it gets full of dirt!

I like Flock Raiser, this is what I use year round.  I offer oyster shell free choice, the girls will take what they need for calcium.  I usually limit scratch/treats to around 10% of their daily intake, a little scratch goes a long way. Mine also love fresh fruit/veggies - I do freeze and can veggies from the garden as well.  Since yours get out in the yard, I'm sure they have access to grass and bugs, so that's a bonus:)

I think the buckets/crates will work for them to hop on to get inside the coop.  It's all about using what you have available.

Sometimes the limping can get worse if she is trying to keep up, I know when one of my girls injured her foot jumping from a roost, she limped badly trying to be "normal" - this is why I confined her in a dog kennel inside the run.  She is just fine now, but it took a couple of weeks, I would let her out a couple of times a day to take a dust bath and "hang out" and she roosted with the others.

I have 2 Barred Rocks, I like them very much, so I can see why you love your Circles, they are so entertaining.  Keep us posted.

I need hardware cloth for the openings. The openings are just above where they roost and if I cut any lower I am afraid of them not being protected from the wind. If you insist, where is a good place to cut more holes? The coop isnt too tall and they roost pretty high.

Circles gets a bowl of water and a bowl of feed until I can get brave with the drill once I find it. I know Circles water dish and feed needs to be filled frequently, as she can dump it over easily. I plan on checking on her often anyways so I thought it would be ok for now. But they all drink and eat together.

This is the setup for now.It has gotten kinda mucky with the birds not roaming much in the yard. Do you clean it up by hosing it down? Thats the best idea I have to scoop poop and feathers but its kinda mucky already and I am not sure that I want all the water in the backyard with it being winter. Any better ideas are more than welcome!

Circles still has a pretty bad limp on her. It is the same as yesterday. I dont think it got worse, but she doesn't try to hide her limp and if she can help it she doesn't try to walk. Which is good, we want it to heal but I feel bad that I didnt think of the play yard sooner so she wouldnt make it worse.

Is the flock raiser better than the layer feed? Should I use it instead of layer feed? They seem to like the flock raiser though. I picked up a 50 lb bag of oyster shells at the store along with the scratch, flock raiser, and vitamins. I give them a pie pan of the feed threw in a handful of the oyster shells and split it up with the two and Circles. Then sprinkled a handul of scratch in the duos side and Circles side of the pen. Do I give them the vitamin water everyday? Is it ok to do it once a week after they get through the molt or is it recommended to just disperse it everyday no matter what? So many questions, I know. But I feel so new to the world of chicken raising even almost 3 years in. Just have been playing it by ear, but I want them to get what they need so they are happy and healthy.

You have wonderful advice and all of your help has been greatly appreciated.

I need hardware cloth for the openings. The openings are just above where they roost and if I cut any lower I am afraid of them not being protected from the wind. If you insist, where is a good place to cut more holes? The coop isnt too tall and they roost pretty high.

Circles gets a bowl of water and a bowl of feed until I can get brave with the drill once I find it. I know Circles water dish and feed needs to be filled frequently, as she can dump it over easily. I plan on checking on her often anyways so I thought it would be ok for now. But they all drink and eat together.

This is the setup for now.It has gotten kinda mucky with the birds not roaming much in the yard. Do you clean it up by hosing it down? Thats the best idea I have to scoop poop and feathers but its kinda mucky already and I am not sure that I want all the water in the backyard with it being winter. Any better ideas are more than welcome!

Circles still has a pretty bad limp on her. It is the same as yesterday. I dont think it got worse, but she doesn't try to hide her limp and if she can help it she doesn't try to walk. Which is good, we want it to heal but I feel bad that I didnt think of the play yard sooner so she wouldnt make it worse.

Is the flock raiser better than the layer feed? Should I use it instead of layer feed? They seem to like the flock raiser though. I picked up a 50 lb bag of oyster shells at the store along with the scratch, flock raiser, and vitamins. I give them a pie pan of the feed threw in a handful of the oyster shells and split it up with the two and Circles. Then sprinkled a handul of scratch in the duos side and Circles side of the pen. Do I give them the vitamin water everyday? Is it ok to do it once a week after they get through the molt or is it recommended to just disperse it everyday no matter what? So many questions, I know. But I feel so new to the world of chicken raising even almost 3 years in. Just have been playing it by ear, but I want them to get what they need so they are happy and healthy.

You have wonderful advice and all of your help has been greatly appreciated.
I wouldn't hose it down
smile.png
that would be a mucky mess for sure. Most all of mine is covered so it remains dry. I do rake mine and scoop poops in the run, then add some leaves/pine needles for them to scratch through. I like the play pen! Great idea! You could try moving it around the yard so the girls move about more. This may be a pain though. Other things I have seen people mention is throwing down straw/hay, but it would have to be raked up when muddy/mucky - IMO these would mold easily and you don't want that. I have one section that I don't have under a roof and it gets muddy - but it's part of the run, so I just rake it out/shovel up poop and turn it with a pitchfork, the girls keep it scratched up except in cold/rainy weather.

I would never insist on you drilling holes in your coop
smile.png
I do see that there isn't much space to add much more ventilation. Winter, it is probably fine, but summer it will be hot and need more air flow. This will give you some time to come up with a plan. You may be able to make a few square or round cut outs. Cover those with hardware cloth, but keep the wood that you cut out, this could be re-attached with hinges, this way you can open them up like little windows for air, or partially/fully closed during winter (adjust as needed) - just an idea. In winter I close my back window, but the back roofline beam has large holes drilled out all the way across. I kept those pieces of wood so I can plug the holes as needed when very windy (north wind) - the ones directly over the roost I close of at night, so wind isn't directly on the birds. The front of the coop (the photo I posted) the entire front roofline/eves are open all year round - that opening is about 8" wide x 12' long, so there is quite a bit of air flow even when temps and wind chills are in the minus. (does this make sense?
big_smile.png
)

Everyone has a preference on feed. I have a rooster and feel that he doesn't need the extra calcium that is in layer feed. I did buy some layer feed one time, the store was out of everything - my flock would not touch it, I tried everything to get them to eat it - they acted like it was poison. They refused to eat for 2days (all 7 of my chickens!), so I finally found some of their regular feed at a store farther away. I also like having the extra protein, but do some reading/research, it really is just a suggestion. If your girls like the flock raiser, then go for it. Oyster shell free choice should be plenty of calcium - at least it is for mine, I also give them fresh greens several times a week. For the vitamin water, I would offer it once a week. You can do more if you feel like they need it.

I have so much to learn myself! Everyday there's something new to learn/read about. I really enjoy being on the forums, everyone has such great ideas and opinions, sometimes it's hard to decide which direction you need to go (if any).

Last edited:
Ok I will move the pen and their feed and water so I can rake it up. I don't think we have any pine needles available but maybe some of the leftover hay that I took out of the rabbit hutch and coop may help me clean up what I can't get with a shovel or a rake and keep the ground from being as slick as snot. After a few days I think I will put it in the compost pile to keep the mold out and the birds from being sick. The yard doesnt have any coverings and all water runs downhill to the rest of the backyard. The winters are really muddy at my backyad. Its just a huge mess back there!

The ventilation instructions make sense! :) I'm glad we have time before we need to come up with a game plan. Maybe the front part above the main doors can use a hinge and a latch with hardware cloth behind it for the summertime. We have to look at it and see if that piece can be removed.

I will look into the flock raiser. They seem to like it but I dont think my birds are very picky. I like being able to add the oyster shells to the feed so they still get the calcium. I can't tell a difference in them yet but it is only day 3.

Update:

We are moving the cage, feed, and water every morning to keep the grass alive. The duo was jealous of Circles' feed and were trying to peck at it through the pen. I dont think they can get to it though. They didn't seem to want to touch the flock raiser until I threw down some scratch in the bowl to trick them into eating it. If they dont like it they will have to get a taste for it until the feed is gone. I don't want it to go bad and I don't have the funds to get them their old feed. Maybe they will get a taste for it in the next month. I put down green beans and it wasn't a hit for them. Maybe I will try some other vegetable. Worse case scenario, it gets raked up and goes to the compost pile to feed the worms.

The raking and mulch thing worked much easier than a hose! Less mess! And we had compost! :)

When I put Circles away last night and went to put her in her pen she tried to hobble away from me. The limp still is the same as yesterday but it isnt worse and she wasnt perched with her buddies in the coop. Maybe she is taking it easy, maybe Leader hen kicked her off.

And holy smokes! Henchman has started molting with a fury! She flaps her wings and there is just an explosion of feathers. Almost as if someone hit her with a pillow case. Is molting normal? Do some birds molt and others don't? Is there a link on molting? Last year the birds looked naked for a long time and I almost was about to make them sweater vests. Henchman is picking at her feathers and I'm not sure if they are picking eachothers feathers?? They are getting the feed and water you suggested. I'm going to throw a scrambled egg out there but they better eat it!! Is there anything else I can do?

I feel bad for them not having names after having them for about three years. I'm going to shorten Henchman to Henny for now and figure a nickname for Leader.

Update:

We are moving the cage, feed, and water every morning to keep the grass alive. The duo was jealous of Circles' feed and were trying to peck at it through the pen. I dont think they can get to it though. They didn't seem to want to touch the flock raiser until I threw down some scratch in the bowl to trick them into eating it. If they dont like it they will have to get a taste for it until the feed is gone. I don't want it to go bad and I don't have the funds to get them their old feed. Maybe they will get a taste for it in the next month. I put down green beans and it wasn't a hit for them. Maybe I will try some other vegetable. Worse case scenario, it gets raked up and goes to the compost pile to feed the worms.

The raking and mulch thing worked much easier than a hose! Less mess! And we had compost!
smile.png

When I put Circles away last night and went to put her in her pen she tried to hobble away from me. The limp still is the same as yesterday but it isnt worse and she wasnt perched with her buddies in the coop. Maybe she is taking it easy, maybe Leader hen kicked her off.

And holy smokes! Henchman has started molting with a fury! She flaps her wings and there is just an explosion of feathers. Almost as if someone hit her with a pillow case. Is molting normal? Do some birds molt and others don't? Is there a link on molting? Last year the birds looked naked for a long time and I almost was about to make them sweater vests. Henchman is picking at her feathers and I'm not sure if they are picking eachothers feathers?? They are getting the feed and water you suggested. I'm going to throw a scrambled egg out there but they better eat it!! Is there anything else I can do?

I feel bad for them not having names after having them for about three years. I'm going to shorten Henchman to Henny for now and figure a nickname for Leader.

LOL! My Barred Rocks are food hogs too!
I've found that each breed of mine likes different veggies - they all will still eat them, but you can tell who likes what the best. The Barred Rocks like grapes and kale, while the Wyandottes like green beans, my Orpingtons like kale and apple. I just put out what I have on hand and if they eat it, they eat it. I do buy kale or a cabbage weekly and grapes if they are on sale since it's winter. I do give occasional corn from the freezer (homegrown) to nibble on. Won't be long until I plant some early greens here, if I get motivated
big_smile.png

Motling is normal. Usually birds will molt once a year (about every 16-18months) but that's just a rough timeline. The will start to look pitiful - atleast mine do. One of my BR is just now getting some of her feathers back in, she was really naked when we had the last cold weather - the wind chills were around -10F, she stayed in the coop on those days. A molting hen will look like she is picking at herself, but look closely - watch to see if she is preening or actually picking. Those pin feathers coming in are in a sheath, the hen will preen at the feather to loosen the sheath, I'm sure new feathers coming in are a little itchy as well. Just a long as she is grooming/preening, then there is nothing to worry about.

I love the name Henchman! I think you should leave it - thinking of my BR personalities, that name is suitable. I do love mine very much and they are sweet girls, but that strong, confident attitude they have needs a good name!

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2011/12/molting-what-is-it-and-how-to-help.html

I love that chickens are usually good at taking the scraps of veggies that don't get eaten by the family. Mine have to be hungry enough to take it. Maybe putting the scraps out first thing in the morning before I put their feed down will get them to be better eaters??

Husband had a day off today and built a ramp! Bushel britches and Henchman know how to use it, but Circles can't figure it out yet. I will give her 30 mins before I try to pick her up. I don't think it will heal her foot if I chase her.

I read the link to the article that you sent. It was useful!!! :) I'm glad that molting is normal. Henchman is molting in the most indecent of ways. It is awfully funny to see that her bottom is the only thing that is bare right now.

We expanded Circles' run by two more walls because she kept stepping on her water and dumping it over faster than I could refill it. Was that an ok idea? Should I return back to just the four walls so she just sits and waits for it to be a little better and try again in another week to expand it? What are your thoughts? I'm not sure if expanding it helped her or not. She still doesn't look like it is doing much better.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom