City dweller wanting the "little chickens"!

EmBee1110

Hatching
6 Years
I can satisfy 2 out of the 3 city regulations but cannot find 100 ft from my neighbor's house except on the back patio - NOT an option! Between us is a strip that runs along our 2 houses that is unused backyard space for us both. This area is secluded and very quiet. I am a first time BYC novice and I don't know if this will be a long-term interest.

What are some children-friendly chickens that would be welcoming and not squawking when I was near them?

Orpingtons and Jersey Giants are gentle but are also big.
How about bantam, Australorps, Anconas, Barnevelders or Cochins. You said you wanted little chickens. The first 3 would be good because they're good layers and I assume you want eggs.

Maybe you should try ducks. They fall under the poultry regulations in most cities. I have two cayugas- very quiet, extremely cute, have a calming affect, and all of the neighbors have fallen in love. My back yard is much more trabquil with them than a chicken could ever be and they are almost guaranteed to melt your hubby's heart! Plus my little girl lays at least five eggs a week- so you still get free breakfast.

Smell is what old timers remember because no one ever cleaned the coops. It is also the reason most cities have setback regulations.
A news crew came to my house to do a story. I have 6 coops. When I opened one the reporter got a strange look on his face. I said, "what's wrong?" He said, "there's no smell". I said, "of course there's no smell if the birds are given enough space and are well cared for".
I encourage city council members who are about to embark on a campaign to limit chickens to visit actual city/suburban coops so they know what they're talking about.

Back
Top Bottom