City Issued a Citation and claims we aren’t allowed to have chickens due to neighbor’s complaint. What are my options?

Pics
This thread has be reopened. Please keep in mind a few things;
  1. Try to have thick-skins. If you don't like something, try your best to just move past it.
  2. Only post things that are helpful, friendly, and appropriate. If you break our rules, you may get blocked from this thread, or even blocked from accessing BYC.

A Reminder Of Our Rules:

We require all our members to remain civil, friendly, and respectful in ALL their public interactions. If we notice you are breaking this rule (to which you agreed when signing up for BYC), we'll need to issue a warning and even potentially remove your access to our community.

Rules can be found here .

Also, a reminder on best-practices:
  1. Again, if you see something that bothers you, try to have a thick skin and move past it. Definitely don't quote it and/or reply.
  2. If a post breaks our rules, report it. Definitely don't quote it and/or reply.
  3. Be friendly and supportive. Avoid posts, etc., that will cause contention. Our team will determine, at our discretion, what we feel is and isn't appropriate, so it's best to err on the side of caution and stay away from anything that might be interpreted as contentious, trolling, or otherwise breaking our rules.
Thank you to all who have replied in a helpful manner.

oldhenlikesdogs

Last edited:
This has been difficult as it is.
These are our pets. Our food source.

We had to remove multiple roosters last year. Multiple pets. Pets that would run up to us and jump on our shoulders and crow. Feed them by hand. Fathered numerous generations of little baby chicks. The hatching stopped. And then came the getting rid of pet hens. Hens that would lay on our lap and sleep in the sun.

I’m so angry and sad with this. A decade of our way of living— gone. Disappeared.
because of ONE neighbor. One. What have we ever done to them??? Free plumbing, free eggs. They’ve had access to this for years .

Ugh this is going to be a hard fight.
I wouldn't get rid of the chickens but instead the neighbor.......... but you don't have the resources/friends that I do so..don't do that..........but still don't give up you've been given a lot of good advice from some people. You should get a lawyer and take this to court.
Good luck 👍🏻

This thread has be reopened. Please keep in mind a few things;
  1. Try to have thick-skins. If you don't like something, try your best to just move past it.
  2. Only post things that are helpful, friendly, and appropriate. If you break our rules, you may get blocked from this thread, or even blocked from accessing BYC.

A Reminder Of Our Rules:

We require all our members to remain civil, friendly, and respectful in ALL their public interactions. If we notice you are breaking this rule (to which you agreed when signing up for BYC), we'll need to issue a warning and even potentially remove your access to our community.

Rules can be found here .

Also, a reminder on best-practices:
  1. Again, if you see something that bothers you, try to have a thick skin and move past it. Definitely don't quote it and/or reply.
  2. If a post breaks our rules, report it. Definitely don't quote it and/or reply.
  3. Be friendly and supportive. Avoid posts, etc., that will cause contention. Our team will determine, at our discretion, what we feel is and isn't appropriate, so it's best to err on the side of caution and stay away from anything that might be interpreted as contentious, trolling, or otherwise breaking our rules.
Thank you to all who have replied in a helpful manner.

oldhenlikesdogs
Thank you for posting this 😁

I wouldn't get rid of the chickens but instead the neighbor.......... but you don't have the resources/friends that I do so..don't do that..........but still don't give up you've been given a lot of good advice from some people. You should get a lawyer and take this to court.
Good luck 👍🏻
I'm thinking the neighbour has called out the City for not upholding it's zoning laws and that's why they are now forced to come the heavy; why it's no longer in their hands? Someone has gone higher, maybe lobbied a local pollie with a parrot on his shoulder.

No I’m confused. Not a word about rats. And we’re not violating anything by having rats on the property, not our fault that there is old barns around that could be the cause of the rats. I was planning on saying that today but the guy called saying he cannot make it today.
And then this showed up in the mail minutes later. Great.

So why did they say we’re allowed 15 last year??
I don’t get it.
View attachment 3781374
I will not go into detail, my comments seem to frequently get me put into BYC detention, but your neighbor can sleep well at night & be extremely thankful that I am not you!
:fl

1711514662807.png

You need to push back on these little tyrants. Where is the city lawbooks does it specificity say you are not allowed to keep quail? It's none of the city's business which caged domestic animals you keep inside your home. I call BS on this inspector. Download the city's ordinances and read through it.
I asked the guy specifically about quail.

You’ll never guess what he said. Ha.

Big fat NO to that too. A NO to everything. No to fresh eggs, No to living a peaceful life.

Back
Top Bottom