Clasifieds

Here's my suggestion a lot of other sites do:

Post your STATE in the topic.

That way, people can search by state.

I am not a fan of the auto delete idea, as sometimes it is nice to pull up an item that was available in the past in search and find it is still there. Some members are very popular, their pm's can fill quickly. Having the response links can generate interest, as this is a live forum and can help you find other avenues.

Instead breaking the forum into three areas like buy, sell, and trade maybe split it up like this:

chicken hatching eggs
other hatching eggs
Live animals
supplies
other items (perfect for all of the great items our members often offer that make themselves, especially at Christmas time)

Psst... many people are impulse buyers and don't usually search for a specific item. Would it also be possible to lengthen the page on the buy/sell forum. I presently already use the feature that when I click on a topic, it expands to show the first 75 messages... I would love if just the buy, sell board could do the same so when I am off board for a while and click on, I don't have to click onto as many pages.

Then have your stickys cross all of those boards to tie them together...

Last edited:
Let's keep this discussion going! This is one thing that once it is changed it becomes darn near impossible to revert back from without a LOT of work.

So, do we divide them by types of goods to buy sell trade (eggs, hens, other, etc.) or do we do it by what the person is doing (wanted, selling, and swap).

I'll say one thing: Craigslist does it by item and has wanted things posted within selling. This is a good idea because people selling may see the wanted and vice versa.

Just my two cents, but I'm open to suggestions and ideas and want more discussion before we make a decision.

cheers!

Hey, Rob,

Have and wants should stay together, sort by category, is how I am leaning... There are a couple of other areas over time that could use some fine tuning... https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=45583 I love this site and have learned to navigate it pretty well but for some it can be a lot to take in and we appreciate the effort you and your staff put in to make it easy for everyone to learn and interact.

OK, well, since I started this, I'll input ....

Since it is already named Buy Sell Trade. ( and everyone is used to it) Why not just make those 3 titles individual catagories.... for now, and just see how it goes.
Buy
Sell
Trade
You could always make sub catagories off of them later on. Dividing them by birds, eggs, supplies.... or what ever.

I started the peafowl forum, so I know how time consuming administrating can be. And I REALLY appreciate you making BYC available to us!!
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom