Classroom teacher needs to make a brooder

kupi99

Songster
10 Years
Apr 7, 2009
We are hatching chicks in our classroom, and are on day 16.

I have a question about what to do when the little guys arrive. We are planning on keeping the chicks a day or so after the hatch ends in the classroom. I have a plastic gallon tub to use for a brooder, and I see on here I need to get a reflective lamp with a 100 walt bulb.

What about a waterer, feeder, and bedding? Can I just use some newsprint I have here in the room for bedding? I think I remember reading somewhere that getting a small container and filling it with pebbles, and then adding water works fine for a day or so. The chicks won't drown in that. I do have some food left over from last year. Can I just put that in bowl, or do I have to get a feeder? I wouldn't know where to find one (I live in a big city).

Thanks for the help!

I would use papertowels in the bottom because newspaper is usually too slippery. As far as the lightbulb and lamp. I just use a regular lightbulb in my lamp and have never had a problem. You can use just about anything to put food in like jar lids or small plates. The best thing about the store bought feeders is not as much feed gets waisted because they can't scratch it all out or poop on it.

I don't know how many eggs you have incubating, but a gallon size container is pretty small.

Newspaper is too slick for new chicks and can cause leg problems for them.

I wouldn't use year old feed for them.

If there's no way for you to find a chick waterer (you can order them online) I suppose a very shallow dish with pebbles in it will work.

I like the plastic containers that are about 3'x18", if it gets too hot they can move to the cooler end. Also, I use the rubber cabinet liner(From Walmart or anywhere) it prevent the spraddle leg problems. I put newspaper down and then the liner. You can cut it too fit and it's cheap. It's fairly easy cleaning too.

Take a shallow cream cheese container and cut 1 1/2- 2 in round holes in the lid. Fill the containers with water and food- Viola! instant feeders
big_smile.png

Oh, NerseELB, thanks! That's a great idea! I will do that.

What I have container wise is one of those rubbermaid things you get a Walmart. I used it last year and it worked well enough for the day or so I had the chicks out of incubator.

I tried just using a regular desk lamp last year with a 100 walt bulb, but the lamp couldn't handle the heat, and broke the light bulb. The light bulb fell into the brooder. Very forunately, the bulb didn't break and the chicks were fine. I didn't have another lamp at school to use, so I had to rig up an overhead projecter to the side of the box. Definately not the best solution, as I think the light from that was way too hot. Forunately, I only had the chicks for a few more hours, so it worked out ok. I'm trying to avoid all that this year
tongue.png

Year old food for a day, day and half is really a problem? I suppose I could go out and get some fresh this weekend, but like I said, I live in the big city and chicken feed is not easy to find. I don't even think the ones that we had last year ate that much of what I gave them......

Back
Top Bottom