1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Clean a styrofoam Incubator????

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by NoSpringChick, May 22, 2008.

1. NoSpringChick

NoSpringChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    SE PA
    How do you clean your styrofoam incubators in between hatches?

2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Warm water, dawn dish liquid, weak bleach solution, soak for an hour, wipe and rise well and put in the sun to dry for a day..

The top I just wipe around with the solution and dry well inside...

Last edited: May 22, 2008
  3. seriousbill

seriousbill Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Ohio
    If there's no sunlight, you can dry them with a blowdryer to make sure there's no dampness when you put them away.

4. jenlynn4

jenlynn4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2007
    PA
    I fill my tub up with bleach water and soak the thing for an hour then I will take an old rag or sock and scrub the dickens out of it. I spray the top with the same bleach water and wipe it down also being careful not to get the electric parts wet. It seemed to work for about 2 years then the eggs just wouldnt hatch any more. I think the bacteria gets deep in and wont come out by then. Now I am gonna buy a new one.

5. Julie08

Julie08 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    I wash with dish soap dry with towel spray with Lysol, run it til its dry (about a day) put it away.

6. NoSpringChick

NoSpringChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    SE PA
    Thanks for all the great advice!

7. williammiles

williammiles Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2008
    Warm water, dawn dish liquid, weak bleach solution, soak for an hour, wipe and rise well and put in the sun to dry for a day..

Yeah, i appreciate the advice, I will try that [​IMG]

Last edited: May 22, 2008
  8. CindyS

CindyS Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    Geneseo, Illinois
    Remember to seperate the plastic liner from the styrofoam part when drying in the sun. Every part needs to get absolutly dry.I have some pretty old hovabators and they still work great! I also use tuffoldhens method, except I use ajax dish liquid:D.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by