Cleaning chicken bottoms

Does it hurt them?

Cutting the feathers does not hurt the chicken, just like cutting your hair or fingernails does not hurt you. Only cut the feathers, not the skin :)

(Exception: when a hen is molting, each feather goes through a stage when it is growing and contains blood. You should not cut the feathers at that time. Most of the year it is not a problem.)

Cutting the feathers does not hurt the chicken, just like cutting your hair or fingernails does not hurt you. Only cut the feathers, not the skin :)

(Exception: when a hen is molting, each feather goes through a stage when it is growing and contains blood. You should not cut the feathers at that time. Most of the year it is not a problem.)
Ok. I just don't want to hurt them.

All I do for my hens with fluffy feathered butts is to trim the feathers. Yes, they may look sorta funny, but keeps the poop from accumulating.
Me too. I put them into the tub and using warm water from the sprayer I remove all the caked on poop. The feathers get wet and I can see the skin. Then I trim the feathers around the vent and down toward the belly where the poop accumulated. A quick blow dry and off they go. They must feel better because none struggle. I've been doing it over a year so they are use to the routine. Cleaner bird,cleaner eggs. No worries about fly strike here.

Back
Top Bottom