cleaning eggs

Many people suggest do not clean them before storing so you keep the bloom intact which is a natural preservative. Just remove heavy debris-poop and then put in fridge.. Once you are ready to use them, rinse them in luke warm water and brush them down with veggie brush or sponge before cracking into a pan. This is how I have been doing it and have had no problems. Hope this helps.

There is no need to clean your eggs right after you collect them. Just clean them before using them.
yippiechickie.gif

What if you're wanting to sell your eggs? I haven't started yet, but I planned on getting enough chickens to sell eggs? I was looking at egg soap and an egg cleaning bucket. Would I be wasting my money and time? I don't want to sell even slightly dirty eggs to anymore, I know how finicky people can be, even in the rural area where I'm from. Thanks in advance.

I tell people I sell my eggs to (only people I know) they need to wash the eggs before they use them and why. They appreciate the information and have no problem with it at all. My mom is the only one who seems to think it's uber important to wash the shell before using. She's a bit excessive in everything, though.

If I have an egg with a lot of stainy poop on it, I'll soak it in warm water for a few minutes and then gently rub it off under warm water. I don't sell those eggs.

Back
Top Bottom