Cleaning Old Coop?

mylilchix

Songster
11 Years
Jun 11, 2008
Front Range, Colorado
I just bought an old playhouse to convert into a coop. It was used for kids, and then a dog lived in it. How do I disinfect to make sure it will be safe for my chickens?

Thanks,
Sonja

I have heard of mixing mostly water with some bleach in it and power washing. Just make sure you can keep the windows open until it completely dry and have plenty of time to air it out before your chickens get there.

Thanks for the help. The chickens are inside right now and can stay there for a while. I just want to make sure their new home is 100% clean before they move in.

Sonja

I would scrub it with soap & then mix some bleach & water & put it in a spray bottle & spray your coop down then let dry. Hope that helps.
wink.png

Quote:
Yes, I know what you mean. I almost bought a used coop on craigslist but was afraid it may still carry disease so I didn't get it. Then I heard of the bleach water trick after. That should do the trick. Mine are inside now too and I can't wait to get them out into the coop where I know they are happy!

Use a 10% bleach solution in a garden sprayer. It is a good idea to do this once a year. Gut the coop of all litter and spray it down. This is cheap insurance. When you set the coop up, make it easy to clean. You will not regret it, and a clean coop means healthy chickens.

I have bought two rabbit hutches that I'm going to turn into coops- One is really nice and clean- it won't need much more than a wash with bleach, but the other one (was free- so cant complain) Is crusted up with rabbit poop and urine that has been there a long time. Is there any special dangers to that? I will clean it and scrub it well and follow these tips... but I'm just hoping there's no lingering rabbit poop/chicken death viruses lingering...

Back
Top Bottom