Cleaning your PVC pipe watering system

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Skipcurt, Mar 26, 2018.

1. DEFINITELY HAVE TO...gets extreme buildup inside

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. HAVE TO...gets medium buildup inside

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. WANT TO...gets mild buildup inside

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. NEVER...don't need to

2 vote(s)
    66.7%
  5. Once a year

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Twice a year

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Once every 3 months

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Once a month

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Skipcurt

Skipcurt Chirping

Jan 10, 2018
    Woodstock, GA
    Trying to choose between a PVC pipe watering system with horizontal nipples or the 5 gallon bucket system with horizontal nipples.
    A conversation with someone I met recently said they used the pipe system first but it ended up getting gunked up inside the pipe and nipples that they switched over to the bucket system. Obviously it is much easier to clean out a bucket than it is trying to clean several feet of attached pipe.

2. Skipcurt

Skipcurt Chirping

Jan 10, 2018
    Woodstock, GA
    Wow! Not one vote.

3. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Crowing

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    My Coop
    I would vote but to be honest, my answer is actually "never" (shameful, I know) :sick. I've had mine 2 years, never cleaned it... and it's never gotten remotely slimy or anything. I just rinse it out with plain water, refill, and it's good to go.

The little mason jar type waterers on the other hand, I can't seem to keep clean no matter how much scrubbing I do. Go figure.

4. Skipcurt

Skipcurt Chirping

Jan 10, 2018
    Woodstock, GA
    Well that's interesting Rose Mary. I didn't even think to include "never". I went ahead and added it. Maybe it'll make a difference in responses.
    Maybe this person I spoke with has bad water or something that he had that much gunk in there to make him alter his watering method.

Thank you for your response.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: