Cleveland, Ohio law information.

swatskee

Chirping
8 Years
Mar 19, 2011
Cleveland, OH
Hi all,

I'm new here and I live in Cleveland Ohio. I just wanted to share my journey thus far just in case anyone from the are is looking for information.

Cleveland passed an ordinance (205.04) & (347.02) that allows the population within the Cleveland city limits to have bees (1 hive) & chickens (up to 6 on a standard size cleveland lot) as long as they follow the instructions to obtain a license from the Health Dept. We decided we wanted to have chickens and finially two weeks ago began our journey...

I started by contacting my councelman Mr. Sweeney and they helped me get in touch with the correct people of the Health Dept to get my application for the license. It was difficult to find this information so after a few calls I finially found the right person.

If anyone is looking how to get your application you can call the Health Dept. at 216-664-2300 or email Rattiliff,Stephanie" <[email protected]> and she will email the application to you. You can file your filled out application and email back to stephanie to get it started.

A few things you should know that I have learned thus far:

1 - The city councelman Joe Cimperman has waived the $50 fee this year in support of the new ordinance. He fully supports this!

2 - Application: The application required your information, address, all of your neighbors address that ajoin to your your property so they can be notified, your lot size in sq. ft, NO ROOSTERS ALLOWED, A scaled drawing of you lot and location of the coop, a drawing of the coop plans, and a comment section how you plan to address the waste, nuisances, unsanitary conditions, and coop description.

3 - The max size of the coop allowed is 32 square ft max. There are restrictions on height and location of the coop. It must be 5' off the side property line and 18" from the back at a minimum. If the structure is permenent then you need a building permit and inspection and if it's over 8' high you also need a permit from the building dept. If it's a temp structure under 8' you're ok as long as it is not mounted to another structure....

4 - Once you submit your application the health dept will notify your neighbors of your intent. They will also send an inspector to validate your sq. ft. of your lot. The entire procss takes (should take) less than 6 weeks... right now, i'm at 2 weeks and only know they received my application.

I'm started to build the coop inside my garage so i'm ready once i get the license!!

I'll keep you posted!

Here is a links to the ordinance: I'd post a link but it appears i'm not allowed to post links to the pdf's ???

celebrate.gif

Congrats!! Always great to hear of towns (and cities) that are in support of chickens! Hurray for Cleveland! I know you are excited, here's hoping you get news quickly!

Thanks,

I do think they ask permission, but rather notify..... I hope I get my license soon too! Started building the coop already!
tongue.png

as a fellow Cleveland area chicken lover...
welcome-byc.gif
(We are out near Chardon) So nice to see downtown area is allowing chickens!
smile.png
also, i've heard Mr Cimperman is a good guy, wonder if he has chickens himself? lol

what breed(s) are you looking to get?

Hey fellow Clevelander! Well, I still have a few weeks (about 4) before my "license" is due (they told me about 6 weeks total). I think I'm going with 2 Barred Plymouth & 2 Golden Coments to start. Looking for eggs only (and friends for the kids)
smile.png
and maybe Black Australorp? But right now the Barred Plymouth Rocks are the only that I know for sure... any suggestions?

I'm guessing for the timeframe I'd like to order chicks soon.... If we get day olds, it's going to take a few weeks of care anyway. Any suggestions where to get some locally? We're only able to have 6 total ( no roosters)....

I started building the coop this weekend.

Got good news from the Health Dept - I received an email from them stating that I am in compliance and that I should have my license with 30 days from when they received my application which was May 11th.

That being said, I figured it would be a good time to order the chicks since they'll be inside for a month or so the timing would work out. We pick them up locally ( meyers hatchery )on April 4th! Woot!

I ordered 6 chicks:

2 Dominiques
2 Golden Buff
2 Columbian Wyandotte

I started a blog to follow our new adventure if anyone is interested..... http://clevelandchickens.blogspot.com

Wonderful! Used to live in Willoughby and they were very clear that chickens weren't allowed. Funny thing is I heard crowing several times. Maybe from Mentor?

Glad I came across this site and this forum, I also live in the City of Cleveland and have been wanting to raise my own chickens. This is an older post but hopefully your still a member of BYC, I just emailed the city for a application and my question is. My 2 other neighbors will have no problems, but as we all know there is that one neighbor on the street (which happens to be the one right next door to me..lol) Now what or can she give me a problem with obtaining permission?

Back
Top Bottom