Clipped wings: will they still be able to get to their roost?

MndaG

Songster
5 Years
May 15, 2018
NH(USA)
I need to clip my leghorns wings. They are now flying out of their run and going to visit our neighbors house 🤦‍♀️. Before any time they got out they stayed in the yard. I know how to clip their wings but was curious as to how high leghorns can jump with one clipped wing? Or should I do both? Their nesting boxes and roosting bar are about 2-3 feet high. I just want to make sure they can't hop the already 5-6 foot run fence but can still get to their roost and nesting boxes.

I need to clip my leghorns wings. They are now flying out of their run and going to visit our neighbors house 🤦‍♀️. Before any time they got out they stayed in the yard. I know how to clip their wings but was curious as to how high leghorns can jump with one clipped wing? Or should I do both? Their nesting boxes and roosting bar are about 2-3 feet high. I just want to make sure they can't hop the already 5-6 foot run fence but can still get to their roost and nesting boxes.
I clipped one wing on my flock members and most still cleared the 4' gates. These were larger body birds like EEs, black Australorp, PBR, etc. I had to do a bilateral clip to keep the Leghorns in.

I clipped one wing on my flock members and most still cleared the 4' gates. These were larger body birds like EEs, black Australorp, PBR, etc. I had to do a bilateral clip to keep the Leghorns in.
What do you mean a bilateral clip? I though you just cut the flight feathers to their secondary ones. I just follow the line. Maybe I don't do it right🤔

Back
Top Bottom