Clipped wings

MHF

In the Brooder
11 Years
Aug 28, 2008
Durham, NC
Well I clipped wings tonight.
One of the girls has been getting out of the run the last couple of days. About thirty min after I let them out of the coop in the morning, I go back outside and check on my little cluckers. The last two mornings, the same girl has been out doing her imitation of a free range chicken. I walk behind her and she heads for the gate to the run, I open the gate and in she goes. This afternoon I was filling up the feeder and this same girl flew up over my head and out she went.
This evening I got my shears, moved everyone into the coop and clipped everyones wings. The girls survived and so did I. Turned them back out into the run and gave them some greens out of the garden. All is well
smile.png

Good for you! Now... one question did you clip both wings or just one? I've read that if you just clip one, it keeps them off-balance enough to keep them where you want them. Of course, it might be rather amusing to watch that..

you should ONLY clip onewing
that is the idea so they can't get to the fence
with both wings cliped you are defeating your purpose
maybe your fence is not 5 ft high?

Quote:
Fence is 6 ft high and I have never had a problem with both wings being clipped. No one has escaped after the wing clipping.

Back
Top Bottom