Cloaca exam for egg binding - END DIAGNOSIS EGG YOLK PERITONITIS

I have been able to feel cancer in a few of mine, some feel like little pimples and look like the pictures in the spoiler below.

-Kathy

Also, the sweet thing opens her beak for me to give her liquids. I really hope she pulls through this.
hugs.gif
Fingers crossed! If you have a kitchen scale it might be a good idea to get a baseline weight on her.

-Kathy

According to these (extremely helpful) pics, I now know that my index finger has explored every inch of the inner surface of Lynne's uterus. (This was not something I ever expected to say in life).

I am very grateful for the advice and knowledge here. I have the Corid and am on the way home shortly to administer it.
Yes, I know what you mean. The only time I have done this, I actually measured my gloved finger at 2 inches in a RIR who weighed about 7-8 lb, LOL.

OK, the Corid is on board! She is so pitiful in her little doggie crate in the bedroom, but at least I know she is warm and dry and no chance of getting bullied by the Delawares.

In a couple of hours, I'll get some more fluids down her.

Thanks again all. I will keep you posted. I'm not too optimistic, but I think I am giving her her best chance.

Last edited:
This is Lynne in healthier days. She is the last of my original three hens, who were all ex-batts. I never thought she'd be the one to last the longest -- as you can see her beak was cut back quite far at the factory. She is a lively and affectionate (pushy?) girl.

The 9.6 % Corid solution dose is 9.5ml per gallon, which is twice what cattle get. You can also give it orally straight from the syringe at .2ml per 2.2 pounds. If she's not drinking you'll have to fine a way to get the proper amount of fluids into her. She'll need no less than 30ml per 2.2 pounds every 6-8 hours as long as her crop is clearing. Tube feeding this is much safer and way less stressful to both the handler and the bird, so that's what I would suggest. Once she's hydrated you could tube feed her Kaytee Baby Bird Food.

-Kathy
Kathy, how often, and for how many days, should I give her this dose of Corid?

The 9.6 % Corid solution dose is 9.5ml per gallon, which is twice what cattle get. You can also give it orally straight from the syringe at .2ml per 2.2 pounds. If she's not drinking you'll have to fine a way to get the proper amount of fluids into her. She'll need no less than 30ml per 2.2 pounds every 6-8 hours as long as her crop is clearing. Tube feeding this is much safer and way less stressful to both the handler and the bird, so that's what I would suggest. Once she's hydrated you could tube feed her Kaytee Baby Bird Food.

-Kathy

Kathy, how often, and for how many days, should I give her this dose of Corid?

That would be her daily dose, but you should also keep giving her Corid water. When i have a sick chick it gets one dose in the morning and the rest of the day it drinks from a gallon with 2 teaspoons of Corid, but if they aren't drinkng, they get tubed. To quote my vet "it's not usually the disease that kills them, it's dehydration and starvation". A big hen like her will need a least 60 ml of water three times a day.

Other things to try are worming and antibiotics. Honestly, at her age, it's unlikely to be coccidiosis. Can you post a picture of her poop?

-Kathy

As suggested earlier, mites could also make her ill, so I'd dust her with 5% Sevin or poultry dust. If you decide to worm her, go to the feedstore and get some Safeguard (Fenbendazole), liquid for goats, or paste for horses. Do not buy Wazine! Do you have a way to weigh her? If so, weigh her in grams, let me know her weight and I'll suggest some amounts.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom