Closed eye swolen neck

paparitchie

Hatching
6 Years
Jun 15, 2013
We have new Easter Chick Eye closed and large lump on neck. Also have Polish hen chick with similar symptoms.
ANY help please would be appreciated! Thank you...
Paparitchie

We have new Easter Chick Eye closed and large lump on neck. Also have Polish hen chick with similar symptoms.
ANY help please would be appreciated! Thank you...
Paparitchie
Could you please give some more information? How old? Any other symptoms? When did this show up? Pictures?

Chicken about month old. First showed up about a day ago one eye closed with lethargy . today noticed large lump on neck. Both eyes closed unless you hold or move it then open. Have polish hen same eye symptoms but one eye for a week. Will load pix tomorrow. Please any help appreciated. Thank you

What if anything do you have for an antibiotic? If nothing, get some Duramycin-10 tomorrow. If you have a TSC or farm store, they should have it. My first thought is get an antibiotic into the birds now.

Is the eye weeping? Any nasal discharge? Have these birds been together and fighting? I am trying to think of any alternatives, but it sounds as if you have something going through your flock and it really might be a good idea to give an antibiotic to stop it now, before someone else comes down with it. If no fighting, biting flies or mosquitoes, bee stings, it sounds like respiratory and needs some help.

I will go to TS store for the antibiotics. I am sending a pic

Other Side

Thank you so very much. I have 3 others with swollen neck and 1 with 1 eye closed. Daughter in a panic. Thank you.

Other Side

Thank you so very much. I have 3 others with swollen neck and 1 with 1 eye closed. Daughter in a panic. Thank you.
Ain't no thing, I hope I can help you! Now are these birds getting medicated feed? Have they been vaccinated for anything? Poor little mite looks so miserable. Do you have any Vicks in the house? If you do I would rub a little bit down their beaks and then keep them warm. When birds are sick they need all the help they can get. One last question...do you happen to have any Oxine? If you don't I would order some when you can. I made up a spray of it and misted my birds when they were showing symptoms of 'who knows what'. One bird was stretching out it's neck slightly and making a sound like a baby crow. Not all the time but often enough to let me know something was wrong. Duramycin for 7 days and a daily misting of Oxine. It's gone, completely.

http://www.revivalanimal.com/Oxine-Fogger-and-Oxine-AH.html
http://www.shagbarkbantams.com/oxine.htm

Are there other chickens on your property or close-by that may have a respiratory disease? Did you obtain these chicks from someone else that might have had a disease in their flock? Can you smell a bad odor around their heads? Are any having trouble breathing? There are many respiratory diseases, some caused by bacteria and some caused by viruses. Antibiotics may or may not help, but little chicks have a harder time fighting these things. Here is a website that may give you some information on common poultry diseases: www.edis.iflas.ufl.edu/ps044 Just click on the red underlined part and it will take you there.

Back
Top Bottom