clothes smell musty... how can I resolve this issue?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Dar, Jun 26, 2011.

1. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    Its just my sons clothes. I do wash his all by themselves and have for a while now just cause he is a teenage boy and well they can stink sometimes.

I wash my hubbys clothes alone too because he gets grease from work all over the place

I wash mine and my daughters together

My sons clothes are the only ones that smell musty. Like they were damp and not allowed to dry properly. as the weeks pass they get worse and worse.

I have tried washing them with borax.. no luck
    white vinegar.... no luck
    oxy clean.. no luck

I thought it may be my washer but no one elses clothes smell like this.

I have started breaking up the loads as I dry, the harder stuff, the stuff that is most likely to stay damp after everything else is dry like jeans and heavy towels all go on the line now and at the end of the day I will throw them in the dryer for 10 min to make them less stiff and to make sure waist bands are dry

he showers daily, with soap [​IMG]
    I have cleaned my washer with one of those washer packs you throw in and run a cycle. My washer is a front loader.

any other suggestions?

2. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    I was going to say Borax or Oxyclean. [​IMG] Have you tried soaking in baking soda? Maybe spray with Febreeze before washing?

3. Dar

Jul 31, 2008
    Quote:have not tried baking soda... and I dont like fabreeze..it just masks odor

next wash i will use the presoak setting and dump a box of soda in there

4. mercedes

mercedes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    TX
    Have you tried using dryer sheets?

5. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    How do you dry your clothes - in a dryer or line-dried? If you don't line-dry them, just try it with hims. The UV radiation (a natural disinfectant) will kill the goo in his clothes that are making the smell.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2011
  6. Theo

Theo Out Of The Brooder

Dec 1, 2010
    Try an enzyme cleaner, like Kids n Pets. It worked for me and my musky teenager. Also it removed the mildew odor from clothes left in the washer for a couple days. Try soaking for 30 minutes with the enzyme cleaner, then washing as usual. Good luck.

7. Dar

Jul 31, 2008
    Quote:i line dry the heavy stuff in the summer but in the winter i use my dryer... heavy stuff is jeans, towels, hoodies...

8. 33yardbirds

33yardbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Southern New Jersey
    I haved had good results using a heaping tblspn of baking soda along with detergent.

9. arabianequine

arabianequine Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    I would use vinager and/or baking soda. Maybe try vanilla which is expensive unless you make your own.

10. Dar

Jul 31, 2008
    Quote:did vinegar on its own.. no results.. but if i mix it with baking soda will the chemical reaction damage my washer?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by