Clotheslines - Who has one?

We have a 80-foot pulley line running just off the porch right outside out bath/laundry room. Use it every time the weather is nor raining--that is the only time we do laundry--including in the winter. Have a drier down cellar that hasn't been used in 30 yrs. On really cold days stuff will dry but we will bring it in and lay it across drying bars--we have forced hot air heat--until it thaws, usually it is dry once it thaws out.

I am in Western Washington even with the rain, I can't imagine not having a clothesline. I have a semi T-post. One side is attached to the house the other side is a T-post. We need to replace the post and raise the whole thing this spring. We poured a slab under the line this past summer, and it's now to short for sheets, and some of the towels. The original post was a 4x4, and I want to replace it with a 3" galvanized pipe with 6 instead of 4 lines.

A clothesline is one of my non-negotiable household necessities. For me it's up there with a pull out cutting board.

No clothesline here... suppose we might be able to rig one on the east side of the house... maybe... but I hate hanging clothes. Had to do SO much of it as a kid, ONLY me, not sibs and certainly not the parents... out there in 30 degree weather having to be sure I hung SD's undies up properly... if not I got in DEEP doodie... wouldn't be too bad if they helped, rotated, something.... but just me... AND the fact that we had a bloody dryer... annoying. Plus, probably partially due to those previous cranky experiences, I don't like the smell of outside dried clothes.

Though I do give credit... towels dried outside are stinky but they absorb SO much better than the perfumed fluffy ones out of the dryer...

We have T post set up, 4 lines, I think 25ft long. Was the first thing we installed after moving in. We don't own a dryer.
If the weather is unfit for drying outdoors, we use hangers for shirts/pants/towels and a small drying rack to hang dry stuff indoors.

We have one, but DH doesn't like to look at it. So spring-fall, whenever I dry clothes on the line, I put it up and take it down. Luckily, we have a post by the house as well as a cedar tree nearby to tie both ends too.

I have steel T-Posts I took out from the old house and stored out back for years. Last summer I dragged them up to the new house with the truck (they still have cement around the base) and dropped em in ahole. Used them for a while during the summer, but plan to use them again this year. I tried cloth and plastic lines and they were terrible, stretched or broke. I have heavy coated cable with turn buckles and they're holding up great.

I have a three line steel T post set I use during the summer months. It is sturdy enough to handle the endless towels!!!

I also have a long cable line from a tree to the grape arbor. It serves as a clothes line for big items like comforters and sheets and DH's pants (long) and as an alternate tie line for wayward animals!!

We have the metal T posts with three lines. I use it in the spring, summer, and fall if it isn't too cold out. I never understood why some places don't let folks have clothes lines. I'd be the first to rebel against that one.
smile.png
I've also seen a couple of magazine articles talking about "solar dryers". Know what the "solar dryers" were....Yep, that's right... A clothesline.

Bluemoon

I used to have T pole clothes lines and used them frequently until my Allergist told me to get rid of them. I have numerous pollen allergies (grass, tree & weed) and line drying was filtering pollen out of the air and into my sheets, towels and clothing causing my allergies to be much worse. Nothing like laying your head on a pollen filled pillowcase when you have pollen allergies! Even though I love the feel of line dried sheets it is my gas dryer only for me.

Last edited:
Well our city does not allow clothes lines so I have one inside the house, in the hallway. Perfect in winter to dry bedsheets and comforters because it would humidify the house!

When my family and I lived on the farm, I remember Mom hanging clothes on the line. Love the air dried clothes. Now I have allergies, no deal around here.

Back
Top Bottom